1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You decide.... and I'm gonna take your advice...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jason_whitlock, Jul 24, 2006.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Jason--

If this was just a basketball issue, say LeBron v. DWade, I'd be on your side of just letting the column speak for itself. But this isn't a garden variety issue. I quote your superb column:

You can either let Scoop Jackson continue to perpetuate that self-defeating myth on television or you can answer it head-on. You know how important this issue is and if you truly believe the white racism myth will keep talented young black youths from chasing real opportunties, don't you have a duty to make your voice heard at every turn?

2. patchs

patchs Active Member

I say do it.

3. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I add my vote to do it, as it would make for some entertaining TV. Also, because I think Jason is 100 percent right on all fronts, voicing that on the WWL only helps his argument.

Throwing hands with Scoop? An added bonus.

rb

4. thanks for the feedback....

i ain't doin' it. my column and his "column" say all that need to be said on this topic.

would lance armstrong come on tv and debate me about physical fitness? hell no. and i wouldn't expect him to.

thanks again.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Is it too late to vote?

If I was your agent, I'd say do this over my dead body.

You have forums and opponents far more credible than these. You do it, and SAS gets ratings, Scoop gets to say 'Yeah, I took him,' and you get to sit there thinking, what the hell am I doing here.

Not your job to make Must-See-TV for others. It's an important topic--save for a stage that's worthy of it.

6. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

You made the right call. I wouldn't have done it either.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It's a matter of medium, though.
    The issue is important, and Whitlock's column was a good one.
    But is his message reaching enough of the people who need to hear it?

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Go medieval on his ass.

9. and don't forget the frilly shirt

10. lono

lono Active Member

Or the pirate eye patch.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Dave Aldridge wrote an eye opening column a few weeks ago showing that there is very little diversity in the news room.

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/columnists/david_aldridge/15060913.htm.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'd much rather see you do it on a respectable show like The Sports Reporters, though I fear it would miss audience it needs to reach most.

Agree with others that SAS's show might turn into Springer rather than a true debate on the subject.

Oh, and not to speak for Jason, but Pope, he never said in the column that white racism (or, as it should properly be termed, racism) is a "myth." In fact, he acknowledged (rightfully) that it does exist, but it's not the only reason for a lack of diversity in the newsroom and shouldn't be used as a sole scapegoat.

Draft saved Draft deleted