1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You Can't Spell Cardinals Without NCAA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

Re: You can't spell Pitino without NIT

Not to partially-threadjack, but it looks like you might be able to spell "Connecticut" without NIT. But I'm sure the rest of the conference will be regretting it in three years or so.

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

As much as I hate to say it, Louisville is really rounding into shape. Won four straight and 6 of 7.

It's got Padgett and Palacios (overrated, but OK) back, and a manageable schedule the rest of the way.

3. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Yeah, the Cards can't shoot well, but they just find ways to win. They;re playing better defense and are starting to get healthy.

Padgett is a man, I was listenng t Pitino's show the other night and he was talking about how much Padgett has had done to his knees. It sounded pretty awful in how he was comparing it to knee injures some other players have gone through and had shortened NBA careers.

Final 4, really dount it. But I wouldn't be surprised to see my Cardinals (I don't cover them) win a game, maybe two in the tourney. Of course, they couldjust as easily fall on their asses again. Big tests coming up against Pitt and Nova, and one at Georgetown, so we'll see. But encouraged by the last month.

It's like Crum's old teams, getting better in February.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Guess what - they're back strong again

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/sports/AP-BKC-Louisville-Caracter.html

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Nor are Wiley Brown, Wes Unseld or Butch Beard.

Non of them would want to play for Rick the prick. In Pat Riley terms Rick Pitino caught "the disease of me" a long time ago and should have got out of coaching.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In Pitino's defense, those guys are pretty old now and wouldn't help much anyway.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It's a point to consider and Wiley still has that thumb problem.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Monday was, without a shred of doubt, Louisville's best performance of the season. In fact, it's the best game the Cards have played since knocking Washington out of the 2005 Sweet 16.

That said, while Monday's win was indeed a signature win, it was still just one game. The team's RPI is hovering in the mid 50s, they are no cinch to get an at large berth yet. A win this Saturday at a reeling Marquette may change that.

Louisville is 8-4 in conference now. While I think 10-6 might get them in the tournament, they really need to win three of their last four games (something that can be accomplished) to secure the bid. And if they finish the regular season that strong, they could easily make some noise in the Big East tournament.

I'm happy to see this team turn it around from such an abysmal start, but the Cards are still a work in progress. Let's see how they play Saturday before we give them a ticket to the Big Dance.

9. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Pitino's once-promising career appears to be back on track.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Does anybody seriously believe the selection committee will leave out a 10-win Big East team?

11. Freelance Hack

It's happened before. A couple times actually.

I believe Louisville can get in with a 10-6 conference record, but the Cards did themselves no favors earlier in the season. Also, if they crap out early in the Big East Tournament, that could be a deciding factor, too.

At 10-6, selection committee members may have reservations. At 11-5, Louisville fans will be the ones with reservations.

12. Freelance Hack

I officially take back my initial post. Louisville is scary good right now, and the Cards won a game tonight they had no business whatsoever winning.

Reece Gaines may not have walked through that door, but Jerry Smith certainly did. The freshmen carried this team tonight.

The Cards are dancing and could easily win their last three regular season games. This is a team to fear come March.

Draft saved Draft deleted