1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You Can't Make this stuff up: Armless, legless girl and wants to cheerlead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 15, 2011.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Ty Cobb does not care.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Cheerleading is more about leading cheers at this point or else there wouldn't be cheerleading competitions.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There is no reason the kid with the learning disability can't take part in National Honor Society activities, either. But there are simply people who are better qualified.

The same goes for this girl. Can she do at least some of the activities asked fo the cheerleaders at this school? Sure. But not all and not as well as the people who beat her out.

4. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Exactly. Along a similar note, let's say an able-bodied girl gets cut so this one can be put on the team. How much do you wanna bet the able-bodied girl and her parents sue?

5. outofplace

As they should. Competition is part of life. It is sad that this girl's handicap held her back in this competition, but at some point in life she is going to have to start dealing with that.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I bet having this girl out on the sidelines helping to lead cheers for the team would gain more support and supporters than any of the other girls cut.

7. outofplace

So, the able-bodied girl who beat her out deserves to lose her spot?

8. outofplace

If she takes a spot from somebody who is more capable? Yes.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Is there a hard-fast number of cheerleaders allowed on a squad?

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I think the real problem is the only letter she'll be able to spell out with her body during the cheerleading is "I".

11. outofplace

I'm going off the assumption that they had to cut to a certain number and she didn't make it. That's how it sounds in the story.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Keep her on the team and cut 100 others and they can all bolster their egos by telling their friends they would have made the squad if they didn't have to keep the girl in the wheelchair.

Win-win.

Draft saved Draft deleted