1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You Can't Make this stuff up: Armless, legless girl and wants to cheerlead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Girl born with no arms below the elbow and no legs wants to be a cheerleader. She tried out three times for the sqaud and never made it. Her parents complained to school officials. They want the scoring process changed.

She is the in band and does dance.

I'm inclined to side with the school.
    Thoughts?

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110713/NEWS01/707139920#cheerleading-case-stirs-up-dispute

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I think the school could have generated a hell of a lot of goodwill by letting her join the team, but clearly it has chosen not to do that.

However, I can understand why they wouldn't, on slippery slope grounds.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

But cheerleading is a sport!

*runs away*

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see where the story addressed whether this cheer squad was competitive or just cheered at ball games. If it's the former, I tend to side with the school. If it's the latter, then I don't see where it's a big deal.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I love when organizations side with the assholes.

6. This ...

If they had let her on I wouldn't have a problem with it.

I don't think they should be forced to change their policies either.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

You'd think one jerkoff involved with this jerkoff organization woulda' said, "Man, we could get a lot of positive PR by putting her on the squad. Not to mention, umm, in our overly-litigious world, it could save us a lawsuit. Afterall, she doesn't want to be a point guard on the basketball team. She wants to cheer fer crissakes." But then I realized I was reading about cheerleading coaches and parents, who are worse than the worst sorority amplified by 10 in their overall cattiness.

Lastly, think of the fundraising you can do with an armless, legless girl? You gonna' say "no" on an armless, legless girl that approaches you about buying hoagies?

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Hey, if Artie on Glee can play football ...

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Do cheerleaders really get fans riled up for a game? None that I've ever seen.

10. Do other girls get cut, too? Are there 30 girls trying out for 15 spots? If so, I'll side with the school. If this girl is the only one cut then it's just plain mean.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

If she falls down a slippery slope she'll be unable to get up?

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

You're going to hell for saying that.

And I'm going to hell for laughing.

Draft saved Draft deleted