1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"You can't do that here"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BRoth, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Kamaki

Kamaki Member

The Seinfeld line and Wal-Mart story made me laugh.

2. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

An opinion from the "mom and pop" side: Take a second, pick up the phone and ask! I almost never refuse a request from the media to come in and interview our customers about something. Just don't surprise me. And don't ask to speak with our employees...that's a no-no...they are not spokepeople for our business.

I am always in our competitors places writing prices down, getting menus, etc. I also always buy something. And I am as inconspicuous as possible. I have been to Best Buy many times to write down things about their TV's, not so much because I'm comparing prices to somewhere else, but so I have accurate dimensions and so I'm comparing apples to apples to what they offer, not so much what the competition offers.

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

So, the First Amendment doesn't exist on private property?
    If you're doing Man In The Street interviews, who gives a rip WHERE it occurs? When you write the story and say, said Joe Blow, who was interviewed in The Greasy Spoon?
    Seems to me you can interview people whereever and whenever you want, as long as the interview subject gives you permission. And eff the owners who say you can't.

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

It's private property.

If you're looking to invoke free speech, you can do it on the state-owned sidewalk out in front of the store.

Inside, it's their rules.

5. In the handful of man-on-the-street stories I've done, I've always made sure to ask permission before starting. Just saves headaches.

Or you could just do like two people on our news staff have done in the last 8 years or so and just make people up and never talk to anyone.

Draft saved Draft deleted