1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You can file this one under "You reap what you sow"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ColbertNation, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

3 positions indeed. Seriously. I know someone who was working there making $300 a week a few years ago, or, $7.50 an hour if you only did a 40-hour week. Not kidding. Wasn't me, either. I'm not that crazy. I made more than that in my first job 25 years ago.

Nonetheless, write-brained is write-on. There will be plenty of applicants, nonetheless. They'll find someone. Places always do. Amazes me when I see these threads...amazes me even further when kids I know like one I know now who's the child of two doctors, has every advantage on Earth, and is going to spend her folks' money foolishly at a swanky east-coast private college and major in newspaper journalism.

Sigh. ???

2. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

OUCH ... and just a few days before the start of high school football (and other fall prep sports) ...

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Ouch my ass. I'm sure it will suck, but every so often we all need to remember that we're pretty replaceable. Maybe they'll hire local college kids to write for a week, or local high school journalism students. Will it suck? No doubt, but they'll get by for this week, hire some real people next week and the readers might not ever even know the difference. Remember, they don't watch this crap with the same eye we do.

I work hard at my job, and during the season I cover a ton of stuff, with the help of a few stringers. Whenever one of them leaves, no matter how shitty the timing, I always still find a way to get a paper out, and I know, even if it sucks to realize this, that if I left today my boss would still find a way to get a paper out.

I'm sorry this paper and these people shit all over you, and I hope you get your revenge, I think you sound a little dumb acting like you got it here, though.

4. Bob_Jelloneck

Bob_Jelloneck Member

Son, I like the way you think. You may have a future in management for my fine company. Send me a resume (with swimsuit photo, please) ASAP.

Draft saved Draft deleted