1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You can be a Pulitzer nominee -- just like Buster Olney

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by inthesuburbs, Mar 27, 2010.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

If it bothers you this much contact ESPN's brass and complain to them.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That's because you did. The original poster's point is Olney does not have the credentials listed - not saying poster is right or wrong, just pointing out the difference.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It would appear, unless there's something I'm missing that inthesuburbs is right. You'd never use the word "nominee" for someone who was an entrant and, besides that, Olney was probably an entrant more than twice.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

for his next trick intheburbs is going to tell us that Obama really did not win the Noble Peace Prize.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

This happened during Steroid era so all averages were inflated.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Last I knew, he doesn't. And I know Olney is one of the irreproachable writers, and he is darn talented for sure, but there's not a darn thing wrong with pointing out something that we would, for example, be leaping on Lupica about. It's wrong no matter the name.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Vince Doria giggles and says he'll consider it for three seconds

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Five seconds fewer than BYH would

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

It's always nice to make someone laugh now and then, so intheburbs would be doing a good deed.

10. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

At the Times' level, few people enter their own stuff. So if the Times chooses you as one of its 3 allowed entrants in a category, that's worth noting; at the Daily Bugle, not so much. The more precise phrasing would be "entered by the NYT for Pulitzers in...."

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm also willing to bet Buster had nothing to do with the wording on the inclusion of it.

12. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I completely agree it's misleading. I also agree the disagreements need to be toward whoever wrote Buster's bio. I'm fairly sure Olney had nothing to do with this.

Draft saved Draft deleted