1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You are what you eat: running diet thread.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, Oct 11, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Since there's already a fitness thread, this should compliment it nicely.

Anyway, I feel like I've been eating like shit lately. Doesn't help that I haven't been able to do a full workout in days b/c of my schedule, either. I've already cut soda completely out of my diet, increased the fresh fruits & I watch the sugar intake, but what else can I do for food that will fill me up? Why must eating right be the toughest thing about staying fit? Yeesh.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

PY--that fitness thread is actually mostly about diet...you really can't talk about one without the other.

But to answer your question, adding lean protein will make you feel better...curbs cravings, takes longer to digest, leaves you feeling fuller for longer. Grilled chicken, turkey breast, a handful of nuts (not lean but good anyway)...all better than apples and grapes and other high sugar fruits. You still need the fruit, but not as a meal--you'll be hungry again soon.

Good move on the soda.

Read the Take Care of Yourself thread.

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Look into picking up some protein pudding. Do a search for Instone products.

It's only 100 calories a container, it has 20 G of protein in each one, and it actually tastes pretty damned good.

You can also supplement between meals with MRP (meal replacement products). Get low-carb ones to save on calories. EAS Myoplex Lite is a good choice, as is Labrada Fitness' Lean Body Carb Watchers. I use and like both.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Good eating is the hardest thing in the world. Working out is cake. I'm down about 60 pounds the last 18 months through diet and exercise, but I still want to eat triple bacon-cheeseburgers and enough mashed potatoes to feed Patton's Army.

It's a mental thing. Master the mental, and everything else falls into place, like weight.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Just curious, what kind of workouts do you do? Losing 60 pounds would be about perfect for me.

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I'm a bag of pretzel sticks.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I lift for 20-25-30 minutes. Nothing Herculean, but enough to wear out the muscles. Then I get on the sexmill for an hour, interval level (up and down) at 4.0 speed at level 10. Burns off 900-950 calories. It's a difficult hour of cardio, but worth it. Do that combined workout 3-4-5 times a week, and eat right, and drink lots of water, and you'll start to see the difference within a month.

You've got to commit to it, though. The pants I'm wearing today were close to tight on me when I bought them 18 months ago. Now I'm having a hard time keeping them up. Gratifying.

If your Jayhawks can be unbeaten through 6 weeks, Oz, you can commit to changing your lifestyle to lose weight. I know you can.

8. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I'm definitely not what I eat.

Um, I'm not a, you know, THAT. 8)

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

What 21 said. Replace sugar and carbs with protein. Curbs hunger ... string cheese, nuts, etc. Good snacks. There's fat there, but it's the heart healthy kind. Also, curb eating late at night. Find a cutoff point ... 9 p.m. or whatever works for you, and stick with it.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

screw the diet, i ate a piece of cheesecake today!

11. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

What if you're at work until 2:00 am five nights a week?

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Bring a sandwich (something easy like PB&J) that you can eat after deadline/before you leave, and you won't be as hungry when you get home.

Draft saved Draft deleted