1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You are looking live ... at the end of Burnt Hamburger's career

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I'm just surprised he got from ex's hotel room to Denver in time for the game.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Im not a bay area guy but hear a lot of radio calls through NFL highlights. Musberger still sounds great. His pipes sound fantastic. Not losing anything as an old man (cough, Vin Scully, cough).

Greg Papa is that asshat who has THE WORST touchdown call in the league. It was the worst when he called the Raiders TOUCHDOWN RRRRRRRRAIDERS) and he brought that crappy call to the niners.

Papa sounds annoying as shit. Glad he doesn't call the Rams games.

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

In fairness, Vin is 92 and Brent is 80.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Papa is IMHO pretty good. I enjoyed him on Ws back in day and listened to him on local radio show. He can appear to be a bit pompous but he knows his stuff and is authoritative in calling the game.

Liut likes this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Papa was a great announcer for the Warriors, did the A's on TV and a good job with the Raiders - but apparently he's developed a pretty horrible rep in the Bay Area media circles in recent years. Buddied up to the 49ers and aced Ted Robinson out of the 49er gig and the fans haven't really taken to him - but then again being the voice of a pro team outside of baseball isn't that big of a deal anymore.

Liut likes this.
  6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I met Brent earlier this season when the Raiders came to Indy. A friend and I were going full fanboy over VSiN and the gambling, he laughed and said "it's a great hobby but don't play it for your mortgage." He's really not a professional gambler, but he's surrounded by them all the time now.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Haha, the niners traded Ted Robinson for Greg Papa??

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I always got the vibe that he dabbled but was just playing a role. Kind of like how Dean Martin was often drinking non-alcoholic drinks and everybody thought it was liquor.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

BUMP! Apparently out in Vegas.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

He's 83 years old.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And the few times I came across a Raiders broadcast, sounded every bit of it.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Still alive. Don't worry. He was on DP last week -- and it's mind-boggling he's never won the Rozelle Award and is in the Hall of Fame. A travesty.

And just watched the "You are looking live" doc ahead of the Super Bowl and all credit to Brent for being front and center and doing that for CBS after they dumped him at the Final Four in 1990 in Denver. He was great on DP. He was great in the doc. Childhood memories of Sundays in the fall.

And the greatest sports theme music of all time.

Draft saved Draft deleted