1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

York Publisher: No Cursing (or Snickers Bars) in the Newsroom

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riptide, Jan 13, 2015.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't trust a newsroom without expletives. Doesn't have to sound like The Mirage sports book after a bad beat, but occasional cursing is a sign of life.

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Regularly? No. But it pops up on occasion.

3. TopSpin

TopSpin Member

No. But that's probably because we have Snickers and Mountain Dew available to suppress the F-bombs.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Still remember my first shop, putting out pages on a Hastech machine. When it crashed and you lost a page, all you could do is curse at it.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Well let me tell you something. I don't want any fucking Snickers Bars, because I fucking live in York, fucking Pennsylvania. So fuck you.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And in all seriousness, looks like someone has a little too much fucking time on her hands.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

A newsroom without candy and cursing is a fucking bullshit newsroom.

Hokie_pokie likes this.
  8. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

I work in a factory full time and a newsroom part time, so, yeah, I regularly hear curse words in my workplaces.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Damn right. This is some serious fucking business gettin' done.

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I prefer Kit Kats.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

We had the "healthy snacks" vending machine in one of my newsrooms. The snacks were half the size and twice the price of the regular stuff. A tiny bag of chips or pretzels cost $1.25 to $1.75. Nobody bought the stuff. Everyone went to the paper's cafeteria, where the vending machines still had the regular stuff.

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

We're in a bureau in a strip mall. There is no vending machine, but there is a liquor store six doors down with all the sugary and unhealthy treats we wish to buy.

Draft saved Draft deleted