1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yo Oedipus!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HeinekenMan, Jul 20, 2007.

1. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

True, I thought a tennis mom was going to be involved here.

The whole kitchen counter thing threw me. Alas, it's just Transformers dorks.

Oh well. Heiney, I feel your pain. Don't worry, it gets better.

Just keep looking furthur ahead.

2. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Weird. I have no hometown because we moved twice while growing up, once when I was 11, again when I was 15. I keep in touch with no one from grade school, no one from high school, a couple guys from college. That's it. So my past is past and it's gone. Seems here like I should be counting my blessings.

3. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Wow. That would suck. I hope you have a big family.

4. dargan

dargan Active Member

I hear that.

5. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I have two parents, two sisters, two brothers-in-law, three nieces and a nephew. They're all a two-hour flight away, which is the closest I've been to them since I graduated college.

Really, I don't think it's a big deal. We're in a transient business and I've chosen to embrace the transience. I consider myself blessed for not having anything holding me down though I'd love to set down some roots at some point. And if I had old friends close it would mean that I'd have to explain to that many more people why I can't go to the symphony on Friday night and then to the alma mater's game on Saturday.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

What he said. I'm in touch with hardly any one from high school or college, and I don't think I'm missing out on anything.

7. My family moved from the northeast to the midwest after my freshman year in hs so I eventually lost contact with all my childhood buddies. I've retained one friend from my hs in the midwest. I can sit on the phone with him for hours because we've been through a lot together and because we both have daughters.

I still talk with my college roommate. He just had his first child. I moved back East for my first job and have since fallen out of touch with the guys I hung out with there. Still close to a bunch of friends at my second job but they're all at least three hours away so most of our conversations are through "reply all" emails in which we crack jokes about shit at our respective jobs. I'm doing my best not to grow apart from them.

I've been at my current job now for two and a half years and still haven't make any close friends at work for various reasons, the biggest being I'm not in the office much and when I am I'm working so I can get home to my family. It seems like my only spare time is at night when the kid's asleep ... that's a big reason I'm on here so much.

Like someone else said, there's a lot of great people here where I am. I just think it takes a lot more work when you're older to make new friends because of the time commitment.

Also, I'm 33 and remember playing transformers when I was still a kid. I've also noticed that today's toys are crap. The transformers and star wars figures that are out now are nothing compared to what my brother and I played with. They're much more cheaply made now.

8. Hmm, the Force is strong in this one.

[​IMG]

9. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Did you have an enjoyable high school experience?

10. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

High school was WAY better than college. College absolutely sucked. A down-to-earth Midwestern boy ain't got much business at an Eastern private school. Still, I've been back to the town where I went to high school exactly three times since graduating. Guess I forgot to mention my parents moved again after my freshman year of college. Like I said, my past is in the past and that doesn't bother me at all.

11. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I feel your pain. I am not a welder or electrician, and my relatives couldn't care less about baseball. So when I visit, we talk a bit, and when the convo shifts to welding or electricity, I take a nap and blame the sumptuous meal I've enjoyed.

12. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Blasphemers!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted