1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yippee — Oil tops $138

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Come up with some new material, oh but I forgot, if we cut the budget trim our government and curtail spending -- we won't have any highways to drive on and bridges will collapse......

2. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

I disagree totally.

Sports fans are like alcoholics. They'll keep doling out the cash for seats, primarily because so many of those seats are corporately owned anyway and they're passed off as a tax writeoff or business expense, which in turn raises expenses of the company, which in turn is charged to the customer in terms of higher prices....and the cycle goes on. As for the average Joe fans, they forgave every labor dispute and couldn't kick the habit. They'll just charge it and keep a comin'.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Yes, clearly, the state and federal tax amounting to a combined average of 47 cents a gallon is the main problem with the $4-plus per gallon price of US gasoline. Why are the rest of us even arguing about supply and demand, or the pressures of new economies, or speculation, or the cost of exploration, extraction and refining? Blame the government!

Can government be more efficient? Of course it can.

But do you pay far less in taxes at the pump than you would in any other developed Western economy? Of course you do.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Never said it was the main problem -- said the government makes about 3 1/2 times as much on the price of gas then the "big oil" machine lib's like you are always whining about and making out to be the devil in all this.

And the government could do something about the price of gas -- by taking less.

I mean, if you saved 47 cents a gallon - thats a pretty big savings isn't it?

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Bat, prices move around quickly because it is a volatile market that reacts to news--on a minute to minute basis.

It is supply and demand. If the price jumps and the market is reacting to something irrationally, then the price wouldn't sustain itself for any length of time. But these prices have been sustainable. It is proof that the world oil market isn't being rigged.

People can't "jawbone" prices up beyond what the market is dictating based on buyers and sellers. "Jawboning" implies that someone just decides how much he wants to sell it for and people automatically buy it at that price. Nothing works that way. If you go to buy milk and the supermarket has a price that is $5 higher than everyone else is selling it for, you don't just say, "Oh, OK" and overpay for your milk. You buy it more cheaply next door.

The oil market is just like that. There is no market at $139 a barrel unless people are lined up to buy at that price and you can't get it more cheaply than that from another seller. If that $139 price was artificial, sellers would be lining up to sell it at $130 a barrel or $120 a barrel to attract buyers away. Their incentive would be that with the price too high, there would be more oil on the market than there was demand and they'd be forced to compete to sell the stuff.

That hasn't been happening. The price of oil the last two years has been steadily increasing.

Unless you believe that the world oil market is being rigged. I know most people think that, but it isn't rational. The scope of the conspiracy that would be necessary and how many people with competing interests--including world governments as diverse as Iran, China and the U.S.-- would have to cooperate to make that happen is a far-fetched notion. If the world oil market was being rigged, lots of people would be getting screwed, and they'd be screaming. It is probably the most regulated and analyzed market, other than the currency markets, and it has so many market participants with competing interests. Governments, which do have the power to rig things, have so much at stake because it is such a vital commodity. China, the U.S., Western Europe, etc. all get slaughtered by high oil prices. It's in their government's interest to do everything they can to create lower prices--and they try to, but they have no control because they can't control supply and demand.

Various governments do try to bring the price down. They can't rig the market price, but they subsidize the price to try to shield their citizens. That has actually made the price increase, not go down. If demand lowers, and supply stays the same, the price will decrease. But when governments subsidize the price of oil and keep it artificially low--as many governments do, including China and India which are consuming a large amount of the stuff--they fuel more demand, which makes the price go up, instead of down.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

"Libs"?

"Whining"?

Quote some of my posts back to me if you would, please, and show where I've ever advocated anywhere on any thread that we increase taxes on anything.

We get it. You hate taxes of any kind on anything. You're a Libertarian - or at least a disillusioned moderate-income Republican with a persecution complex.

But by all means, let's try it your way. Eliminate state and federal gas taxes, and then privatize highway operations and maintenance. Let me know what your break-even point is on gas savings versus the fact that your route to work will become a toll road.

As I stipulated, all government enterprises can be made more efficient. Wouldn't it be a lovely thing if we could harness your bitterness sufficiently to do so?

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I wonder how the people in California felt in 2000 while their electricity was being manipulated to ridiculous price levels. They must have said "NAAAWWWW, there's no way electric companies would do that to us! It must be that evil Gray Davis!"

The truth came out after Enron collapsed.

It is VERY possible to game the system. Lay & Fastow & Co. made that abundantly clear. Just go watch "The Smartest Guys In The Room."

And Ragu, I feel you overstate the oversight of the oil industry. Lots of people ARE being screwed and lots of people ARE screaming. It's just the consumers. And the independent jobbers. Everyone else in the supply chain is skimming off billions along the way.

8. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Are the Smartest Guys in the Room the mysterious Illuminati, which is Italian for "We don't give a f@@@ about common people"

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Damn, now that was a smackdown. Note to self, don't make JG mad at me.

I think the oil system can be rigged. I think anything can be rigged especially when you stand to make billions of dollars off of it.

10. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

What I still don't get is why the price of gas jumps in direct relation to the price on the oil market.

The oil market is a <i>futures</i> market. If my understanding of the process is right, the prices being set today don't come into play for six months.

With the price of oil rising the past two or so years now, I understand a gradual rise in prices. But the "market jumps $11, so gas jumps $0.10 a gallon the next day" phenomenon seems like manipulation.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Because the gallon of gas you as Mr. Independent Service Station Owner buys wholesale next week must be funded with the profits (already miniscule) from the gallon of gas you are selling today. That's assuming you are making any profit. Because while your markup on a gallon of gas pretty much is pegged to the wholesale price. Let's say, strictly for example, you make 5 cents on every gallon. The bad news is that your credit card processor isn't adjusting its fee structure with the price of gas. It is taking a certain percentage on each transaction. And at a certain point, that more expensive fill-up for your customer creates more in credit card fees than you just made with your markup.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The other thing I was wondering about was the whole loss leader idea. At least I think that's what it is called, but it is when the price is set at break-even or loss to get more people to the store.
    At grocery stores, it was on things like bread and cokes and I always thought that was true of gas stations, where the price of gas was low on purpose and where the stores made money was on inside sales of smokes and snacks.
    But with gas being so high, I hear stories of people skipping the inside trip and I wonder if prices going up is an adjustment on that. The stores have to make money to stay open.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.