1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yippee — Oil tops $138

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

I keep hearing these radio commercials about "Feed the Pig." Basically, it shames us because we don't save money. Well, what fucking money? I'm living check-to-check as it is. What can I shut off besides a monthly $60 cable/internet bill? That's not even $750 saved in a year. Should I shut off my water? How about my power? Maybe I should live in a fucking cardboard box and not spend much of my money?

Something has to change within the next 5-10 years. I'm not smart enough to know about all this commodities and trading and whatever like the hot shit people on the left and right coasts, but I do know that regular people, most of us who make less than $20 per hour, just can't keep up at this pace.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Oil will go back down sometime. Trouble is, it'll go back down to a level considered impossibly high only about six months ago-like $100 a barrel. That's how inflation works. Yesterday's ceiling is tomorrow's floor.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It's the frog-in-a-pot theory. You throw the frog into boiling water, and he'll jump out. You throw him into warm water and turn it up slowly, and he'll stay in till he boils to death.

Lots of people are jumping out now. Maybe we have finally reached the "tipping point." Unfortunately, that's not going to stop prices from rising. The fact that some yahoo can jawbone the price of oil up $11 in a day gives the lie to the normal supply-and-demand marketplace. Supply is not (and has never been) an issue since the run-up began. Demand is falling worldwide, which resulted in the recent decline until yesterday.

http://www.oilvoice.com/n/Increase_In_FuelStockpile_Causes_Oil_Price_To_Fall/36920dcc.aspx

I fear what'll happen when the ultimate breaking point is reached: when most Americans have maxed out their credit cards paying hyperinflated costs for gas, food, and all other necessities. That day is coming. Maybe sooner than you think.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Let's see -- 15 percent of our cost of gasoline goes to the government while 4 percent to the "big, mean and greedy oil companies"........Perhaps the people the lib's should be railing at is not the "big oil" but rather the big government who could cut the cost of gas by 10 percent by just taking less of a piece of the pie.......

I know, I know -- if they do that some big, over-bloated beauracracy will have to do with less money to waste or we'll just have have a tax hike somewhere else to pay for it.......

That's YOUR government folks.......

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Yes, because if we only got government and those pesky gasoline taxes out of the way, we could go back to driving on dirt roads, game trails and crossing bridges made of abandoned beaver dams.

6. zagoshe

Yes -- you make so much sense -- Government can't do with less -- there isn't a dime in the budget that is wasted, a dime that isn't crucial to making sure we have roads, bridges and bridge inspectors, every dollar has been responsibily spent and is responsibily accounted for......yeah, we all must suffer and do with less, corporations must find ways to provide the same service for less but government, no way there isn't a dime we could cut from any government that isn't crucial and if we cut it out, even a dime, we will be without every crucial service government provides......

Give me a fucking break.

That is such 1960's Hokey Liberal scare-tactics, no different than the crapola the Reagan and Bush people roll out about how we absolutely need to spend as much as we do on our military because if we don't, Grenada will invade us and take us over........

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I've decided I will vote for the candidate who will pledge to get gas back around $2 by the end of his first year. I don't even care how they do it. I don't even care if it involves clubbing baby seals. Just find a miracle fix, and you've got my vote.

8. zagoshe

I don't care if oil goes to $10 a gallon as long as the idiots in Washington aren't allowed to get away with blaming it on "big oil" and the "evil ragheads in Saudi Arabi" and admit they are as much to blame for the price being out of control as anyone.

I mean -- what if we were not spending $400,000 million per day for a silly war that has nothing to do with national defense, do you think we might be able to make a case that the government could do with a little less?

9. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

I watched "Cinderella Man" last night on TNT and can very easily see that Hooverville society develop today...except it wouldn't be in Central Park, where environmentalists would complain about disturbing the greenery.

10. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

as bad as gas prices are, i'm left thinking people aren't taking this shit seriously. i still don't think anyone in my shop even car pools. one guy rides the bus now, but that's about it.

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Yes, next time you leave the libertarian paranoia bunker and drive to town to buy more pemmican, Bovril and 9mm ammo, by all means take a moment to damn Dwight Eisenhower and his notorious, freebooting tax-and-spend inefficiencies for having built all those highways that begin with the letter "I -".

12. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

No kidding. I hear all the stories about "people to travel less further this summer" and also wonder about how this will take people off the road.

I still see so many out of state plates and still see the roads as congested as ever.

I feel that we'll see the long-range travel start to slow off, though. It may be a sight to see, but College Football stadiums may bare lots of empty seats this fall at this rate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.