1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet more layoffs in Tampa

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by reformedhack, Dec 12, 2011.

1. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Re: Yet more layoffs in Tampa (updated 12:45 p.m.)

Will the Trib travel with the Rays? That's my question. You'd say of course, and I'd like to agree, but I also would have blown deadline by 6 hours if necessary to get in the most meaningful game of the season in the edition that circulates in Pinellas County. Instead, the Trib offered a partial score, as 1970s as that seems, while the paper in the rack beside it screamed WILD. So if you're not gonna go all in when it matters most, why spend thousands of dollars covering a 9-game West Coast road trip in June?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There's one preps writer left. The person who went to newsside was preps/GA.

3. Prospero

Prospero Member

There's another fairly prominent move to news, if info is correct. That's in addition to the preps/GA person. I have no problem with that. It's better than those folks getting laid off.

I just wonder how the very few who are left will cover the teams/events that need to be covered. I fear that they won't be able to, because they won't be given the resources. As for Rays travel ... I'd guess that's out the door. At least traveling to every game will be. They might still do NYC, Boston, Miami or the odd three-game series here and there. With only one person assigned to cover MLB now, a reduction in travel probably would be a blessing for that "content generator." Won't make doing the job as it should be done easy, but it might help avoid pure exhaustion and/or a mental breakdown.

4. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Among other changes, sports columnist Joe Henderson moves to News to become a metro columnist, effective immediately.

5. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Hope that was his choice. Mayo did same thing in Fort Lauderdale about a decade ago.

6. reformedhack

According to his Facebook page, it had been talked about for a while behind the scenes.

7. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Guess that Bucs debacle yesterday was deal sealer. Funny how Raheem mentioned JH by name today.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's astonishing for that area. Hillsborough County has 30 high schools. Throw in another 14 or so in Pasco.

9. reformedhack

The Tribune employees laid off today are slowly but surely letting people know who they are. I don't want to steal their thunder or overstep their privacy, so I'm not announcing names until they do.

In Sports, today's biggest departure is Katherine Smith, who had been at the Tribune for more than 20 years. She covered everything from preps to the Bucs, and is a talented writer and a delightful person. (I say this having known her since high school.) If you're in a position to hire someone for your staff -- someone who will bring good clubhouse mojo to your shop as well as a dependable journalist -- please do yourself a favor and consider her for the opening. This is an unsolicited recommendation.

More names as they're announced.

10. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Honestly, if the situation is this dire, they might be better off not traveling with the Rays on West Coast trips.

11. TheWhiskeyDiaries

TheWhiskeyDiaries New Member

I wish everyone well that lost their jobs today. As someone who just went through all of it, I can honestly say life is better post-Trib. Good luck to Nick, Katherine and Adam.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That and a buck will get you a cheap cup of coffee.

If they were so valued, they would have found a way to keep them. I'm not buying their bullshit for a minute.

Draft saved Draft deleted