1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet more layoffs in Tampa

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by reformedhack, Dec 12, 2011.

1. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Re: Yet more layoffs in Tampa (updated 12:45 p.m.)

I don't think so ... not this time. The numbers won't be particularly large, though, because you've gotta have bodies to bring in revenue. What I've heard, though, is that most of them will now have lower base salaries and/or lower commission rates.

And let me head this off at the pass for everyone: Don't use this sad day to go on an "advertising sucks/is lazy/can't sell/etc." tangent. There are overachievers and underachievers in every part of every company.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

All three are writers, correct?

3. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Yes

4. DKIA

DKIA Member

Four from Sebring let go - one from newsroom and three in advertising.

5. reformedhack

Correct.

6. Mizzougrad96

I'm a little surprised. I figured they would go after the desk over writers, but maybe the desk has already been stripped bare from previous layoffs.

7. reformedhack

At this point, any cut is going to be equally painful, regardless of where it's coming from. They're not cutting fat anymore. They're not cutting muscle or bone. They're not even amputating limbs.

Today, they began removing organs.

8. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

For what it's worth (not much), Trib's Bucs cover today was better than the Times'. Headline was better (DARKEST DAY), photo was better and the breakout charts added another layer of info/sophistication. Point being, the Trib still does quality work.

9. reformedhack

For now.

10. Mizzougrad96

Two of the beats where they cut from did not surprise me. One did. I'll be very curious if they plan on shifting people around.

11. reformedhack

Oh, the shifting has already begun. I am told one sportswriter has been transferred to newsside, bringing the department's departures to four.

12. Prospero

Prospero Member

Another sportswriter has been moved to news. So that makes five writers lost (three laid off, two moved) from what was left of the department. I think that leaves seven writers in sports (give or take). Who in the world will cover the Bucs, the Rays, the Lightning, the USF Bulls, and all those many high school teams?

They talk about refocusing the coverage to the "core area" of Tampa and Hillsborough County with "content producers." Content producers? CONTENT PRODUCERS! What about journalists? Need any of them? No? OK. Carry on, MG. By the way, good to see the 3.5-percent jump in your stock price today. Almost got up to 4.50 today!

Draft saved Draft deleted