1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet more layoffs in Tampa

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by reformedhack, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Prospero

Prospero Member

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Yet more layoffs in Tampa

I think today's round of layoffs leaves the Tribune with a grand total of eight sportswriters. Unfathomable. I might be missing a couple, and I hope I am. But eight? They used to have about 40.

2. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Four -- three writers, one desker -- as per my latest update.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was clearing out some old boxes a couple weeks ago and I found a phone list from one of my old papers. With full and (just a handful of) part-timers, it was a staff of 56. It's probably close to 20 now.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The three I knew of were all writers...

5. Re: BREAKING NEWS: Yet more layoffs in Tampa

Nice timing, MG. Make sure you save all that holiday pay those employees had coming. What a bunch of lowlifes.

6. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Just curious: What was the newsroom manpower total before layoffs, and how many worked in the building overall?

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Let me guess, advertising skates off untouched?

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Does this reach beyond Tampa? I haven't heard from any of my Richmond folks - yet. I hope I don't (not that I don't still love them).

9. reformedhack

Moddy, from what I hear, it apparently does, but I haven't heard anything about it actually happening. Let's hope for the best.

10. Prospero

Prospero Member

Moddy - don't know about elsewhere in MG Land. It might just be Florida -- this time around.

Turns out three gone in sports, not four (so far, anyway). One person updated the employment status on a social networking site to "Worked" at the Tampa Tribune from "Working" at the Tampa Tribune. The natural assumption was this person was among the laid off. The person corrected the mistake quickly once condolences started rolling in.

11. reformedhack

Re: Yet more layoffs in Tampa (updated 12:45 p.m.)

Indeed, now hearing three from Sports instead of four. Normally reliable source provided incorrect information.

12. reformedhack

Re: Yet more layoffs in Tampa (updated 12:45 p.m.)

I believe the newsroom stood at 110, give or take, before the layoffs. Today's news certainly takes them below 100.

For a sense of perspective, when I started working at Mother Tribune in the late 1980s, the newsroom stood just below 400 (with a daily circulation of 310K to boot).

Draft saved Draft deleted