1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet another WTF moment at school

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by three_bags_full, Dec 23, 2011.

1. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

The original post has been corrected. Sorry about that.

2. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

AM News, which covers Mercer County, has a pretty good article on it:

http://www.centralkynews.com/amnews/news/mercernews/amn-school-under-scrutiny-after-child-put-in-bag-20111223,0,6619537.story

Here's the Mercer County superintendent's statement:

“The Mercer County School District is aware of recent reports of conduct directed by staff toward a student in one of our schools. Federal and State confidentiality laws prohibit the release of specific student information, and prevent the School District from even confirming or denying the specific allegations which are being raised in the public.

“Upon learning of the allegations, the school system reviewed the incident immediately, and the matter is being handled consistently with School District policies and with State and Federal law.

“The employees of the Mercer County Public Schools are qualified professionals who treat students with respect and dignity while providing a safe and nurturing learning environment. The well-being and safety of our students is our primary concern, while we strive to provide a quality education for student success. Often conclusions are jumped-to and snap judgments are made by people who do not possess all of the facts.

“Due to the confidentiality rights afforded to all students, I am not empowered to correct misinformation and misconception. I am therefore left to give my assurance that our School District strives to use appropriate educational procedures and techniques which are designed or approved by licensed professionals and that our employees receive appropriate trainings and certifications to prepare and equip them with the skills necessary to educate our children.

“Whenever the school is addressed with a concern, we review that concern to ensure that our policies and procedures have been followed, and we take corrective action when necessary and appropriate. The School District desires to have open lines of communication, and we encourage parents to visit our schools and talk with our staff whenever there is a question or concern."

----

FWIW, Mercer County is NOT halfway between Elizabethtown (where I am and where KYSportsWriter is) and Lexington.

According to yahoo maps:
    Harrodsburg to Lexington: 31.81 miles
    Elizabethtown to Harrodsburg: 70.93 miles
    Elizabethtown to Lexington: 85.42 miles

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Whatta bunch of gobbledygook, meant to protect the institution, not anyone's privacy

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Wonder what the school district budget for special education has been the last few years.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

How far's Louisville from Fresno?

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

If Fresno is close to Tahoe, 15 minutes. :D

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Damned Owensboro schools.

8. Sharkmc

Sharkmc New Member

I'm not going to argue the school district isn't and won't try to protect themselves, but they cannot comment on the incident because of the Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). The only one(s) who can officially comment on the incident using names are the family members. The family give the school district written permission to release the information. Heck, thanks to FERPA if you have an 18-year-old senior in high school, he doesn't have to tell you his or her grades.

9. Sharkmc

Sharkmc New Member

Sorry, that should read: "The family must give the school district..."

10. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

If FERPA is really the case, that's what you say in the statement.

You don't put out a bunch of "gobbledygook" and tease us with the "misinformation" the super mentioned in the statement.

Granted we don't have all the facts -- but if a kid was stuffed in a bag, how much information do you need? -- but it appears the situation was handled poorly and the statement didn't help.

Two strikes for school district.

11. Sharkmc

Sharkmc New Member

What are you talking about? Did you not read the story that quotes the superintendent saying: "Federal and State confidentiality laws..."and the other section I put in bold? What do you think the federal law is. It's FERPA, my friend. I'm a high school teacher (after 30 years as a daily journalist) and I can't sit down over a beer with a friend and specifically talk about a student who is giving me trouble. That's against the law and I can get in big trouble. Heck, I can't even tell my wife the name of the youngster, although I don't think she'd rat me out to the authorities if I did. So, what sounds like CYA, even if there is a little of that going on in that story, is just a superintendent following the law.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

What really sucks is the IEP stated a Nike bag was to used and the school used Adidas.

Seriously, there are dumb fuckers in education, just like everywhere else.

Draft saved Draft deleted