1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet another SNL thread...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Anyone catch it last night? Some really funny parts, but all pointing to weaknesses in the show. Opening sketch was Borat... hilarious. Opening monologue, Hugh Laurie, funny. Laurie sings a protest song, pretty damned funny. Laurie in sketch where he's the advance man for the Queen, hilarious. Seemed to be the theme for the night: Anything done by guest or special guest, funny. SNL-staffers: patently unfunny.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Feel asleep about halfway through ... the mockery of national-anthem singers was amusing, considering the disdain we hold for such individuals around here. ;)

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

SNL was on last night?

4. Killick

Yeah, yeah, I know. Why even bother anymore? I dunno, it's habit more than anything else. That's been a Saturday staple as long as I've been alive, so I guess it's still pertinent for that reason alone.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I TIVOd this because I thought Hugh Laurie might do a good job. My expectations are still low, though.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

The Hugh Laurie song was quite amusing and reminded me of the political posts at this site.

Bush sucks! Cheney sucks! We should (mumblemumblemumble) ...

7. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

In general, I did not think it set up the rest of the season very well.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

I have yet to watch one this season (travel and babies).
    One thing I was interested to read was that they also have a new director this season, Don Roy King, who was a director at CBS News.
    Anyone who can tell these things care to comment on how it's going on that end?

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Laurie as Dylan was one of the better moments this show has had lately.

And I know I'll be in the minority on this ... but the one time Will Forte makes me laugh is when he does that weird-ass Senate candidate, Tim Calhoun.

Then there's Beck. Lord knows I want to like him. I always have wanted to. But everything is a new experiment.

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

For a show that's DONE, SNL threads abound. How about one thread for all of it? Or better yet, cancel SNL and we're done with it!

11. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Protest song: very good ... highlight of the season so far.

I can't stand Forte, but the one time he is funny is when he plays characters like Tim Calhoun. Meanwhile, Armisen & company were *really* bad as the gay guys from Jersey.

The dancing puppets during Beck's act were great.

The first sketch after the monologue was a bit, um, tired material (seriously, a five-minute long fart joke?), but it was -- next to the protest song -- the best sketch of the night.

12. Killick

Oh, nearly forgot. The cartoon by Smigel was another highlight. W from the Oval saying the GOP has pulled its scary, terror-related ads in favor of holiday-themed ones. The holiday, of course, was Halloween, and the new spots included Count Obama, an Alien-like Hillary sprouting from someone's stomach, and a ton of gay tongue hockey.

Draft saved Draft deleted