1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet another reason to keep your kids off myspace

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Who Knows, May 11, 2006.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

No, it's not likely you'll ever need a passport to get into Canada from the United States.

You'll just need one to get back home, thanks to your friends in Homeland Security and the hawks in Congress.

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

That's my whole issue with this one. How the hell do you agree to send your kid off with another's family without even talking to the other parents in advance? Who cares if she's a National Honor student? I'm picking up the phone and asking the other mom if she's sure she wants my kid for an entire two weeks, where she's going, whether it's Toronto for a week or BC, how much money she needs, etc.

How can any parents not question it? It's not a matter of trust; it's a matter of practicality. Who sends their kid off for two weeks and doesn't ask in advance if there's anything they can do to lessen the chaperones' load?

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I don't even let my kids go to a sleepover or play at another kid's house unless I know the other parents are aware of the plans and we've discussed them.

I was stunned a few months ago when my daugther called another girl and asked her to come over and play. We'd never met the other family and all of a suddent this mom pulls up, a kid hops out of her car and the mom drives away. No questions asked, no schedule set, no cares at all.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Idaho, it is possible that the other parents had met your daughter and decided through that meeting that you had a good home.

Going to Canada... Yowza! That is a bit much.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Did you have enough warning to put away the AK-47s and crack pipes?

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And the coffee.

I keed. I keed.

7. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

The Palestinian man tells his side of the story http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060619/ap_on_re_mi_ea/myspace_mideast

The Palestinian man who had an Internet romance with a 16-year-old Michigan girl is a music-loving computer buff who says he loves the teen and is heartbroken she was sent home.

Abdullah Jimzawi, a 20-year-old high school dropout who lives with his parents in Jericho, said he and Katherine Lester had planned to marry and she intended to convert to Islam.
    The couple still speak to each other at least five hours a day via Internet phone calls, said Jimzawi, a shy soft-spoken young man with close-cropped hair and a two-day beard.
    "We love the same things, the same songs and we have similar dreams. I fell in love with her because she is innocent and goodhearted. We found ourselves to be soul mates," he told The Associated Press.

[​IMG]

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Is this the first lawsuit filed against myspace?

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/06/20myspace.html

9. KP

KP Active Member

And it oughta be promptly tossed out of the court. Myspace didn't tell the girl to go meet the guy.

10. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060623/ap_on_re_us/myspace_mideast

A teenager who flew to the Middle East to be with a man she met on MySpace.com said Friday she intends to marry him.

"I love him very much," 17-year-old Katherine Lester
    The two have resumed communication online since she returned home.

"Our initial reaction was to isolate her, to lock her up and just keep her safe here in America," said her father, Terry Lester. "But that's unrealistic because you can see the love they have for each other."

11. markvid

markvid Guest

a 20-year-old high school dropout who lives with his parents

"Our initial reaction was to isolate her, to lock her up and just keep her safe here in America," said her father, Terry Lester. "But that's unrealistic because you can see the love they have for each other."

Yeah, some people should be forced to take a test before becoming parents.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Shocking!

Draft saved Draft deleted