1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet another music thread -- Breakup songs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by audreyld, May 26, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Best Thing You Never Had by Butch Walker.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

He Stopped Loving Her Today.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Song for the Dumped, Ben Folds Five. Period.

4. joe

joe Active Member

And give me back my black T-shirt.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

"The Last Word," Mary Chapin Carpenter.

6. audreyld

audreyld Guest

How about, to change topics slightly, songs for when you're watching your dream wither on the vine?

That's more like the wallowing I'm feeling right now.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

For those breakups when the only regret is wasted time, "Understand Your Man" by Cash gets the point across.

For times where actual sadness is involved, may I suggest an abundant supply of Newscastle Brown Ale and the gritty but sappy tunes of Billy Bragg- "St. Swithin's Day," "The Myth of Trust," "The Price I Pay," "Little Time Bomb" and "Valentine's Day Is Over."

Also, "Like Soldiers Do," "The Man in the Iron Mask" and "Must I Paint You a Picture" aren't breakup songs, but they're very good troubled relationship songs.

As I side note, don't get anything Bragg recorded after the 1980s, because he was brutal in the 1990s.

Alwight, mate!

Finally, if that still doesn't get the job done, you can always purchase the complete works of Joy Division and make a stop by your local heroin dealer on your way home.

8. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Just picked up Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game".

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Bingo, first one I thought of. Frank sings the fucking shit out of that. Frank's "One For My Baby" is right up there too.

Oh yeah, and "The Break Up Song" by Greg Kihn. They don't write 'em like that anymore.

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

"King of Pain" - Police
    "Drowing Man" - U2

Not sure those are actual songs about breakups, but they're the ones I've used... over and over...

11. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I really like the way Alanis covered of KoP. Does this make me the musical equivalent of a hillbilly?

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

"Ain't Gonna Cry" by Bryan Adams is a great "fuck you, too" song.

Draft saved Draft deleted