1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet another Hot Stove thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lantaur, Jan 27, 2008.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

The Hot Stove league is winding down, but that doesn't mean the offseason is over.

And it appears only to be heating up. The Seattle Times is reporting the Erik Bedard trade to the Mariners is a done deal with Adam Jones heading to the Orioles. No other names mentioned, but one rumor I heard has Jones, Clement, Timan and a fourth prospect headed to Balmer.

As a lifelong Orioles fan I am somewhat saddened, only because I love stud lefty pitchers (being a lefty myself; if Bedard were Jewish I'd be crushed ;)), but I certainly understand the trade. And if the above is correct, the O's got a nice haul.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Meanwhile, Omar Minaya hasn't added a starter or a middle reliever or a position player or a bat boy or an usher or a guy to sell hot dogs...

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm waiting to see what the whole package was, but I still don't understand trading the guy. I guess the Orioles have decided to give up completely, at least for the time being.

This really is a great fit for Bedard. He moves into a better pitcher's park. He has a better team around him, including a dominant closer to finish out his games. This may hurt down the line, but for now it is exactly what the Mariners needed.

4. lantaur

Bedard was likely gone after 2009. The O's are in no way shape or form going to be competing in the next two seasons. So better to get something for him now and build for 2010 when many of the team's prospects will be up (and/or have a couple of seasons under their belt). At least that is Andy McPhail's reasoning and I can't blame him. The organization is a mess, unfortunately.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Just read a wire story that the Mets will deal for Santana in the next 10 days. Dude is asking for a six-year, 150m extension in exchange for waiving his no-trade clause. That's $25 mil a year, in case you didn't want to do the math. Yeah, he's one of the top two starters in baseball, but you seriously have to wonder if he's worth it.

6. lantaur

Andy McPhail denies a deal is in place for Bedard. And round and round we go.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-os0127,0,5598077.story

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm good with that so long as Reyes and Wright stay put. But they need more than Santana.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Reyes and Wright are not going anywhere except from Shea Stadium to Citi Field in 2009.

If the Twinkies finally get off the fucking pot and deal Santana, rumor has it the Mets are the front-runner right now ... but that can always change.

9. chester

chester Member

I'm still waiting on the Indians to do SOMETHING to shore up their corner outfield positions. For a team that was one win away from the World Series, they've done nothing while the rest of the division - especially the Tigers and White Sox - make their teams better (at least on paper).

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I would love to know what the Mets are offering for Johan.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

if Santana stays in Minnesota, the Indians might finish fourth.

The Bedard deal is a great one for the Mariners. He should be outstanding in that park and that market. He can be a rude aloof prick and no one will care.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Who's the other one?

- I actually think Baltimore is making a pretty good deal. Prospects like Jones don't grow on trees. How is that Seattle going to score any runs. They'll be better in the short term, but I don't think better enough to actually win anything (though that 1-2 punch is a good start), and they could easily regret this in 3-5 years.

- Cleveland is still far better than Chicago or Minnesota.

Draft saved Draft deleted