1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet Another HDTV Question And Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I have never owned HDTV in any way, shape or form. A friend has it. The inlaws have it. Both have 1080p TVs.

Now, the wife and I are in dire need of a new set. But I cringe at paying for 1080p.

If a guy has never owned 1080p HDTV will he be disappointed by owning "only" a 720p TV?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

1080 isn't that expensive. I got one pretty cheap, not much more than the 720.
    I know this - I ain't never going back. Lord. HD is where it is at.

3. Pete Incaviglia

I know. It's the HDTV and the massive collection of classic rock DVDs that keep me WANTING to visit my inlaws.

4. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

You know, I've got a 1080i and an older, completely un-HD boob tube and it all depends what you want it for.

My older TV works just fine for watching news and the odd sitcom. Then again, it's only 32 inches.

The 1080i monster (it's rear-projection, not fancy LCD or plasma - weighs a ton) is awesome for sports and movies.

I think if you're money-conscious, 720p is fine - for now. Perhaps you can plan for it to migrate to another room where it's no longer your main TV in a few years when you can afford the 1080p screen.

5. Pete Incaviglia

That's what I was thinking. Get the 720p now and then move it to a lesser used room later on.

6. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Just make sure you don't cheap out completely. Get a 720p screen you like, and preferably one which will last.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My one piece of advice:

I've never in my life thought to myself "Man, I'm really glad I saved a couple of bucks and got the crappier version!"

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

good advice. same goes for size. and like someone else said, going with 1080p shouldn't be that much difference.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Bingo.

When Sony had a massive screw-up with my first HDTV, they offered me some 720p units for not much money. Forget that noise. Wanted a 1080i with 120Hz because the 720p units with a slower regeneration wasn't going to work nearly as well.

Some will argue that the difference isn't noticeable. I beg to differ. And I'm really glad I spent a little extra scratch on a MUCH better unit.

10. patchs

patchs Active Member

If you ever want to get a Blu-ray player, 1080p is a must.
    Always buy the latest technology if you can afford it.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Patchs is right. If you want a Blu-ray, and watch those classic rock discs in full HD is a 1080 set is a must.
    But, if you're going to watch a standard disc (most up to 720) and are not an "HD snob," then you'll be fine with the 720 set. (Full disclosure, I'm an HD snob).
    The real test is to stand in a showroom with the same sets and compare. But, you have to be sure the contrast ratio is equal, or you're comparing apples and zeniths.
    Samsung and Vizio make 1080 screens quite affordable. And Samsung does a great job of making a full line, affordable all the way to industry top specs. (There are cheaper brands, but none grade out as well.)

12. Pete Incaviglia

*sigh*

Looks like my cheap ass will buy 1080p.

Draft saved Draft deleted