1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet another baseball scoring question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hustle, May 19, 2008.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

According to MLB rules, one of the provisions of the save rule is that the pitcher can not be the winning pitcher.

But that's the majors.

2. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

It's been a few years, but I know the NCAA scorebook actually sepcifically had that as a note that if a pitcher is removed as the pitcher and comes back to the position later, you can't credit them with both the win and the save. It's one or the other. This year's scorebook doesn't seem to have that note, I guess the fact that it still says, like Buck has pointed out, a requirement of a save is that he isn't the winning pitcher, kinda made it redundant.

3. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

This situation came my 1st year in the biz ... I credited the guy in the paper with a win and a save, but then saw the MLB rule a while later.

Rhody ... good call on emailing STATS. Their explanation doesn't make sense to me as someone who reads the letter of the rule, but it does as a stat geek.
    ==
    Another dumb question ...

Pitcher A is pitching, with Runner A on first base.
    A pitching change is made ...
    Next batter (Batter/runner B) grounds into a force-out ... Runner A is out, and batter/runner B is safe at first.

Which pitcher is responsible for the runner? I said Pitcher A was, because the next pitcher induced an out and Batter/Runner B simply replaced Runner A at first.

My compadre in the press box (the guy running the scoreboard) said the runner reached with Pitcher B on the mound, therefore he's Pitcher B's runner.

I'll look it up, but I'll toss it out here for discussion fodder, too

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It's Pitcher B's runner, because he's the one who faced that batter. If the hitter had hit a home run instead of the fielder's choice, the batter would be charged to Pitcher B. Same thing here.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

He is pitcher A's runner. ..and yes, crimson, he is a "replacement" for the runner pitcher A put on base.
    Had the same batter hit the same ground ball and been thrown out at first while the runner went to second, wouldn't the runner at second still be Pitcher A's responsibility? Yes.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Pitcher A's runner. There's no fundamental change to the situation. It's the same as if the batter had struck out or flied out.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

We do. Or did.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/56406/

8. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

NFHS 2006 Playing Rules under Rule 9-Art. 7 says this:
    Note: A starting pitcher who is replaced and then re-enters as pitcher can be credited with a win but not a save.

And from the Statisticians manual (same year) under Section 20:
    Note 2: A pitcher re-entering the game may not be credited with a win and a save.

9. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

That's what I thought.

The MLB rulebook states that Pitcher A is responsible for the number of runners on base, even if they are replaced via fielder's choices.

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Can you take a loss and a blown save?

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Absolutely..

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Can you have two fingers of single malt right after a dirty shaker?

Draft saved Draft deleted