1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yes!! The return of NFL Films!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Sep 11, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Man, I love watching this stuff at 3:30 am after SportsCenter.

Tonight: Joey Porter and The Bus, the latter of whom talking about The Fumble.

Love this show. Steve Sabol has the coolest job in the world.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

On a somewhat related subject, check out ESPN's Pro Football Encyclopedia if you get the chance. It is actually quite good as a reference source, including starting lineups for every team in every season. And its cheap.

No, I'm not one of the authors.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Are you a guy who sells books on commission? :D

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

No ... I mean yes ... I mean, are you gonna buy this box of Madonna's Sex book or what? My kids are tired of eating grool.

Back to NFL Films, I wish NFL Network would lay the hammer down on the Sabols (that's for you, IJAG!) and stop letting them run wild with their boring-ass, non-NFL vanity stories.

This is what we want ...

-- Interesting featurettes on players and teams from a defined NFL period. Yes I want to know more in-depth stuff about the mid 70s St. Louis Cardinals. No, I don't want to know about Jim Hart's grandson's Pee Wee team.

-- Team highlight films, only update them. Without the baggage of being a PR function, go back and do the 1976 Tampa Bay Bucs film or the 1990 New England Patriots. A REAL historical record, warts and all. That would be awesome.

-- Go back to digging up interesting features on forgotten teams and players. When the Ravens won the Super Bowl, I thought it would have been interesting to see a feature on the '77 Falcons. I believe they still have the mark for lowest points allowed per game for a season yet they finished 7-7. I wonder if dudes like Claude Humphrey, et al, lament their missed opportunity to be among the greats?

-- More, more, more Lost Treasures of NFL Films. C'mon, you've got a warehouse full of this shit. Do a Lost Treasures on every team. I'd watch it.

I'm going to bed. My morning, Sabol, I expect these to be implemented. :eek:

5. Upper Tupper

Upper Tupper Member

I'd love to see these guys do a film on Joe Don Looney.

6. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

The feature they did on nut shots was hilarious. The best was when Favre was miked up during a game and got swiped in the sac by a would-be defender.

Favre is doubled over, and as the guy walks by he says something to the effect of "Damn, there wasn't nothing to hold on to, was there?"

I chortled.

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I love NFL Films, if only for "The Voice of God."

Super Bowl XI (Vikings-Raiders) clip...

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Bubbler, I like the original NFL yearbooks just for the unintentionally hiliarity.

You can't tell me that when you see a 1986 Packers yearbook with a voice intoning, "With Forrest Gregg steering the ship and Randy Wright and rookie sensation Brent Fullwood as his first mates, the Packers are primed for a RETURN TO GLORY........" that you don't sit there and giggle like a schoolgirl (you know, those schoolgirls with supple asses).

9. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Wow...this thing actually exists (per rottentomatoes.com):

1986 Green Bay Packers: A NEW BEGINNING

On offense, young quarterback Randy Wright displayed both physical and leadership skills, while a huge young offense line anchored by Ken Reuttgers paved the way for a breakaway runner named Kenneth Davis.

Unfortunately, a film review wasn't available. Wonder why. ::)

10. it is an incredible resource

i just can't fathom the way they set up their all-time and single-season leaders in the back. a great resource, but for those who played 11- or 14-game seasons they list them among the others with projected 16-game totals. stupid

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Active Member

I think I've seen such a feature by NFL Films on the 1977 Falcons.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The 1989 Cowboys get Super Bowl charmion treatment.

I guess that is part of the greatness of NFL Films.

Draft saved Draft deleted