1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yes!! The return of NFL Films!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Sep 11, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Man, I love watching this stuff at 3:30 am after SportsCenter.

Tonight: Joey Porter and The Bus, the latter of whom talking about The Fumble.

Love this show. Steve Sabol has the coolest job in the world.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

On a somewhat related subject, check out ESPN's Pro Football Encyclopedia if you get the chance. It is actually quite good as a reference source, including starting lineups for every team in every season. And its cheap.

No, I'm not one of the authors.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Are you a guy who sells books on commission? :D

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

No ... I mean yes ... I mean, are you gonna buy this box of Madonna's Sex book or what? My kids are tired of eating grool.

Back to NFL Films, I wish NFL Network would lay the hammer down on the Sabols (that's for you, IJAG!) and stop letting them run wild with their boring-ass, non-NFL vanity stories.

This is what we want ...

-- Interesting featurettes on players and teams from a defined NFL period. Yes I want to know more in-depth stuff about the mid 70s St. Louis Cardinals. No, I don't want to know about Jim Hart's grandson's Pee Wee team.

-- Team highlight films, only update them. Without the baggage of being a PR function, go back and do the 1976 Tampa Bay Bucs film or the 1990 New England Patriots. A REAL historical record, warts and all. That would be awesome.

-- Go back to digging up interesting features on forgotten teams and players. When the Ravens won the Super Bowl, I thought it would have been interesting to see a feature on the '77 Falcons. I believe they still have the mark for lowest points allowed per game for a season yet they finished 7-7. I wonder if dudes like Claude Humphrey, et al, lament their missed opportunity to be among the greats?

-- More, more, more Lost Treasures of NFL Films. C'mon, you've got a warehouse full of this shit. Do a Lost Treasures on every team. I'd watch it.

I'm going to bed. My morning, Sabol, I expect these to be implemented. :eek:

5. Upper Tupper

Upper Tupper Member

I'd love to see these guys do a film on Joe Don Looney.

6. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

The feature they did on nut shots was hilarious. The best was when Favre was miked up during a game and got swiped in the sac by a would-be defender.

Favre is doubled over, and as the guy walks by he says something to the effect of "Damn, there wasn't nothing to hold on to, was there?"

I chortled.

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I love NFL Films, if only for "The Voice of God."

Super Bowl XI (Vikings-Raiders) clip...

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Bubbler, I like the original NFL yearbooks just for the unintentionally hiliarity.

You can't tell me that when you see a 1986 Packers yearbook with a voice intoning, "With Forrest Gregg steering the ship and Randy Wright and rookie sensation Brent Fullwood as his first mates, the Packers are primed for a RETURN TO GLORY........" that you don't sit there and giggle like a schoolgirl (you know, those schoolgirls with supple asses).

9. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Wow...this thing actually exists (per rottentomatoes.com):

1986 Green Bay Packers: A NEW BEGINNING

On offense, young quarterback Randy Wright displayed both physical and leadership skills, while a huge young offense line anchored by Ken Reuttgers paved the way for a breakaway runner named Kenneth Davis.

Unfortunately, a film review wasn't available. Wonder why. ::)

10. it is an incredible resource

i just can't fathom the way they set up their all-time and single-season leaders in the back. a great resource, but for those who played 11- or 14-game seasons they list them among the others with projected 16-game totals. stupid

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I think I've seen such a feature by NFL Films on the 1977 Falcons.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The 1989 Cowboys get Super Bowl charmion treatment.

I guess that is part of the greatness of NFL Films.

Draft saved Draft deleted