1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yes, no or maybe to nukes?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Jun 12, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sweet. There's a place for me to work.

[​IMG]

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yes to nuclear.

What else is someone born in Oak Ridge, Tenn., supposed to say?

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

oh my mom didn't die. i was just pointing out why some folks have fears of nucleur plants.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Oh, I thought "parting gifts" meant as in she left for us when she died.....

I understand why there are fears -- what I am saying is that they are mostly irrational fears because they are based on an era when technology was poor and far less safe than it is today.

And if we could educate people as to this fact -- that Nuclear power is not something to be scared of -- we could perhaps move in that direction despite the greatest attempts of the tree-hugging wackos to impede progress.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I know a few of the engineers who work there, as well as a couple other nuclear engineers from my time at LSU. Whoever is against nuclear power should talk to some of these folks sometime. Believe it or not, they know what the hell they're doing.
    I trust them with my life. And since I live and work in the region that'd be Chernobyl-fied if something went blooey, I suppose I do trust them with my life.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I will say this -- and I have talked to a number of other people about this --

Energy is a huge issue in this election and both candidates are clearly way out of their league in discussing the issue and offering solutions to the growing crisis.

The first one to stand up and say --- "I will not be deterred by fear-mongering and tree-hugging, I will not allow big business to push me around either but I will lead the charge to explore any and all alternatives to our dependence on oil and our dependence on outdated and expensive energy sources." -- will get a huge bounce in terms of support.

7. digger

digger New Member

Maybe its the oil companies-their minions in the government that are keeping nuclear down/(conspiracy theorists)

Seriously, I'm probably as liberal as you get on this board (or in the top 10 percent) and I don't have a problem with nuclear, as long as it's done right. I did buy the no nukes album back in the 70s, though. But it has to be safer now. And we need to get alternatives to oil.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

As much as I think the nuclear industry would help our energy crunch, one of the drawbacks of building more plants is that it wouldn't really reduce our reliance on oil. Most power plants run on coal or natural gas, not oil, and we have a shitload of coal. Nuclear is a piece of the puzzle, but it's not the entire solution.

9. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

You totally whiffed on the easy one...

[​IMG]

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

"Springfield, my computer shows your T-437 is completely operationa...oh dear God no! This can't be happening. You're...you're operating without a T-437, Springfield. I mean...my God!"

11. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

If it's done correctly, I don't see the problem.

But oftentimes, these plants are not and instead are run by guys resembling Homer Simpson.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Send it care of Langdon Alger.

Draft saved Draft deleted