1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yes, history IS repeating itself

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bruhman, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Good column. Very good points.

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

from the article

Some anti-immigrant activists are horrified of "fast-forwarding" history because they fear that, in 50 or 100 years, the United States will be a different country — alien to them and worse off.

But for the average American of the year 2100 (who may be named Raul Roberts, Kevin Lopez or Esperanza Harrison), the real "aliens" would be those who complain today about Latino immigrants.

actually, it is more common right now to have Tiffany Lopez and Brittany Perez - mixing a beautifully ethnic last name with a cliched first name - yeecchh

4. busuncle

busuncle Member

The column doesn't exactly bring up an original point...in fact, it's bordering on cliche.

Yes, there has been anti-immigration hysteria in America's past. And, yes, a good chunk of opposition to immigration today comes from simple xenophobia. But not everyone who has concerns about America's modern immigration system (or lack thereof) can be reduced to a caricature.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Or Tiffani Lopez and Britnee Perez

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Good column, but I question how the writer -- didn't pay attention to the name -- can tell me what Ben Franklin was thinking. He or she can tell me what Franklin said or wrote, but not what he was thinking.

Am I asking a reasonable question?

7. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

This hear is typical Americans for you always misunderstanding other people of other culture difference.

8. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

You're correct: The writer can't tell you what Ben Franklin was thinking. He can only tell you what he thinks Ben Franklin was thinking.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hating Germans seems pretty reasonable to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted