1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yes, Geno, it's always about you.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Yeah, but we're talking about how a feud might derail the best women's college sports rivalry around. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for the sport to those who don't follow it. We talk about how it sucks that there's no legitimate national title game in major college football, but I don't think it's better for the discussion.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Little known fact... but an incident fondly remembered by SportsJournalists.com old-timers. The student in that incident posted here to defend her questions.

That was a great thread.

Gotta love SportsJournalists.com....

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Huh?????

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And by the way, speaking of class ... I watched every minute of the HBO documentary on Tennessee basketball and Summitt a few years ago, and while I believe she's a good coach and a good recruiter, I think she's on the Bobby Knight level of class --- very little.
    Just my opinion.

5. I was waiting for a differing opinion on Summitt.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I look forward to seeing the evidence to support this. You know, tirades against reporters, chair-tossing incidents, international incidents, non-stop profanity, insulting responses to innocent questions, disciplinary action taken against her by her school, lawsuits filed against her, video of her abusing players, grossly inappropriate comments ("If rape is inevitable . . . "), etc.

You know, all the stuff in Knight's portfolio.

Oh, but she yelled at a player on the HBO documentary. Oh, OK. That settles it, then.

Read the Gary Smith profile on Summit done around the same time. And see if you can replace "Summit" with "Knight" while keeping a straight face. And get back to us.

7. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I don't think either of them are in any Top 25 lists (or Top 100) of coaches who make the media's job easier.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Hondo ... supporting evidence? Not as long as he can shoot from the lip. Or keyboard.

Summitt can be rough with her players at times ... sometimes it's the only way to get through to some collegiate athletes. She doesn't pretend to be anything otherwise. But good luck getting anyone who covers women's basketball to say too many bad things about her personally.

Geno, on the other hand ...

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I wasn't absolving Geno of anything. However, I saw her berate and humiliate her players more than once on the documentary, which means it's probably a continual occurance.

I have a question: Do coaches such as Summit, Knight, Parcells, Coughlin, etc. believe it absolutely necessary to be screaming, ranting raving pricks to win games? Don't coaches such as Tony Dungy, Bobby Bowden, Pete Carroll, etc. prove you can win games and still be a human being?

Probably the subject for another post one day.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

know the facts? don't you think that's asking a bit much?

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

On the other hand, it also offers the chance to show that women's basketball is more than a once-a-year meeting between Tennessee and UConn

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Read right above it. Fenian called boots boom, I pointed it out, he called me sportschick, I called him you.

Was a joke. Let it go.

Draft saved Draft deleted