1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yes, Geno, it's always about you.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Sep 25, 2007.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Why does Auriemma need Summit more than she needs him? Since 2000, UConn has four NCAA titles, beating Tennessee for three of them.

If every college coach allowed petty feuds get in the way of scheduling opponents nobody would ever play a game.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

um....let's see....

Can I get back to you on that one?

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Because Pat and her program were well-known before Geno came along.

The Huskies aren't the national draw Tennessee is. Most people won't stop and watch any women's college basketball, but many more will stop for a few minutes to watch Tennessee than they will for UConn.

Both are great, hall of fame coaches. But Pat is damn near unanimously considered one of the all-time best coaches in any sport. Her stats are ridiculous. I don't care about the lack of parity. She had NOTHING to start with, and she has never missed one Sweet 16. Her team plays one of the toughest non-conference schedules in all of college sports. People said the game passed her by, but she evolved and won another title last year. She went out, got two JUCOs for a needed athletic boost, and she won again.

Pat without Geno is a much, much bigger story nationwide than Geno without Pat.

4. Oh! Oh!
    I know this one. Bob Knight!
    The answer is Bobby Knight!

Alex, I'll take Maniacal Basketball Coaching Dickheads for $500.

5. cranberry

Tennessee is a national draw? Anyway, I don't think anyone cares what happened 20 years ago and I don't think either one of them make a ripple nationwide. That's why it's silly for Summit to end over a petty feud the ONLY rivalry in NCAA womens basketball that has more than regional interest.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Sorry, but actions have consequences. Best that Geno learn that. It's a nice rivalry, but nothing that ever generates more than a blip on the TV ratings during the regular season anyway.

The teams can always meet in the tournament. And nothing is set in stone forever. Should Geno ever decide to acquire some class, there is nothing to prevent the rivalry from resuming in a few years.

7. Hammer Pants

The Lady Vols might not be a national draw, but they are the most popular women's basketball team — professional or collegiate — in the country. Summitt and the Lady Vols definitely have a niche fanbase outside of their region, but to say they don't have fans nationwide is just ridiculous.

8. Hammer Pants

Summitt recruits nationwide, and her pitch often goes something like this.

1. Call a recruit.
    2. Offer a scholarship.
    3. They commit.

In some circles, she's a rock star.

9. cranberry

Same for Auriemma.

All I'm saying is that NCAA womens basketball needs Tennessee to play UConn and that neither Summit nor Auriemma should let their petty feud interfere with that. By refusing to schedule UConn, Summitt is letting personal feelings get in the way of what's best for her team, her schools and womens collegiate basketball.

10. Does anybody know where I can find a link of Geno going off on a student reporter after UConn lost for the first time in 70-some games? Even if it'st just the text. I liked that more than the Mike Gundy outburst.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Or maybe what she's doing is really smart for women's basketball and her team. I mean here we are talking women's hoops in September. Not a common happening, even among those of us who love women's basketball.

12. cranberry

I hear what you're saying and I would agree that a public feud could fuel interest -- if they were going to take the feud to the basketball court at some point. Tennessee-UConn is the only nationally significant rivalry in womens college basketball. It can't help the sport if they don't play.

Draft saved Draft deleted