1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yep, I'm injured again

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Almost three weeks ago, I injured the biceps in my left arm by the elbow while playing rugby. For various reasons (not sure how serious it was, trouble getting an appointment) I didn't see the orthopedic guy until yesterday.
    He confirmed there was a rupture of the biceps tendon. At this point I've decided to forego surgery because it seems like the downside outweighs the upside. If I were to have surgery, I'd be looking at 6 weeks in a cast, then physical therapy. Because almost three weeks have passed since the injury there has already been some scarring and once out of the cast there would always been some stiffness and possible loss of range of motion.
    Without the surgery, in time, I can do almost anything I want though there would always be about a 20 percent loss in strength. I would not be more likely to re-injure it.
    If I could have had the surgery earlier, the chances of a full recovery would have been better, but I'd be in a cast right now and unable to work. He said I could ease back into training. I'll always be a little weaker, however. I feel kind of stupid for dragging my feet on this, however.
    All in all, I think I made the right decision. I'm a little depressed about it, but it is what it is.
    What sucks is that I've gotten into powerlifting within the last year, competing in a few meets. I know I can't be as good as I could have been now, but I hope I don't have to retire.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

This guy can help:

[​IMG]

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

suck it up, nancy boy...

[​IMG]

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Outing alert: Smallpotatoes is Chef.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nope.. Chef's injuries are usually, well, stupid, self-inflicted and can be fixed with beer and a sharp knife.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Dear sma-po:
    Time to give up the pseudo-athletic career and find safer ways to get exercise.
    At your injury rate, you'll feel like a 70-year-old by the time you're 40.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

A friend ruptured his biceps tendon and didn't have to be in a real cast at all after surgery.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

[/quote]

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

[/quote]

And I don't look a day over 400!

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

[​IMG]

Spnited, above, lurches out of his office to check on the next day's edition in this file photo.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I believe it was a bottle of Hot Damn.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

After a few days and some second thoughts, I got a second opinion. I'm having surgery on Friday. The MRI showed it was a complete tear and the muscle had retracted 9 centimeters.
    The doctor said it was still doable and at my age, it should be done. They may have to do a graft, harvesting a tendon from my wrist or using one from a cadaver.
    I'm looking at a week in a cast, then a ROM brace, which will start at 90 degrees and be progressively straighted out.
    I'll have to teach myself to type with one hand, but I'll be OK. Should be good to go completely by opening week of high school football.

Draft saved Draft deleted