1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yeeeeee-haw Danica!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 85bears, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Not to sound like a NASCAR-basher, but isn't there a good chance Danica gets the Jeff Gordon treatment (boos and thrown garbage) if she wins a race?

(Yes, yes, I know there are a ton of Rainbow Warrior fans.)

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Except the one she's in, apparently.

3. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

She might get the Jeff Gordon treatment, but I almost guarantee you that furriner from F1 will get it if he ever wins one.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

But the furriner's hot :D

Not to mention that he is probably way more likely to actually win in NASCAR than Ms. Thing, whose marriage seems to have caused her driving skills to drop off.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Still speculation. And like Bubbler said, could be a ploy to drive up her value.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

NASCAR doesn't need Danica to sell itself the way IRL does. She won't be the darling over there. She'll just be another backmarker getting in the damn way.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You don't think she'd get put in a top ride from the get-go?

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Even in a top ride, I think she'd still be toward the back. She hasn't been racing well this year at all.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Dools, there aren't any top rides open. There's some Toyota slots, and one at Yates. That's about it.

Moddy, they'd still market the hell out of her. She and Montoya would be "the new face of NASCAR." But they'd stop long before the IRL has.

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

How much will the endurance factor be for Patrick and Montoya, at least in the first year? Neither IRL or F-1 run 35 races a year, right? And most F-1 races aren't 200 milies, are they?

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Penske and Hendrick could always just start up another team. They surely could get a big-name sponsor for Danica. I really don't think NASCAR would bring her in just for her to be doomed to finished 30th each week.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Penske could, Hendrick couldn't. Four-team cap, and Hendrick's at four right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted