1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Year-old Cubs notes column put on Sun-Times site

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Aug 1, 2006.

1. 85bears

85bears Member

To cover Notre Dame, not the Cubs.

2. ECrawford

ECrawford Member

It's easier for this to happen than you might think.

If you usually slug your Cubs story (CUBS + date) then you've got to be careful. If the reporter hasn't wiped out or stored all his old stories somewhere else, then it would be easy for last year's CUBS0801 story to get into the system as this year's CUBS0801 if he (or she) weren't watching. And if the person editing it weren't watching, then it could get online.

Happened to me once after we got a new front-end system. And it was a notes package. Thankfully, our desk saved me (not for the first time). Since then, I've had recurring nightmares about waking up and seeing a year-old story in print, so I've been more careful about making sure all those old files get saved to disk so they aren't sitting around with my active stories, waiting to be re-shipped.

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

We had an incident with local NFL team's notes from the same date but wrong year. Like Mizzou said, mistakes suck (they fucking suck, actually), but they do happen. No one is immune.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Two pages in and DyePack hasn't commented? :D

Someone check on his house and make sure he didn't die of the heat.

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Well, with Izturis, the Cubs will probably come back to at least take the wild card. He's probably celebrating somewhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted