1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Year-old Cubs notes column put on Sun-Times site

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Aug 1, 2006.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I wonder how long it is before this gets taken off. And how does this happen?

http://www.suntimes.com/output/cubs/cst-spt-toni01.html

Welcome mat out for Lawton with hope for jolt on offense

August 1, 2006

BY TONI GINNETTI STAFF REPORTER

Most of the Cubs were happy about the trade for veteran outfielder Matt Lawton, someone they hope will ignite a weary offense in the season's final two months.

''I love that they were able to make a move before the deadline and get a quality guy who can give us a shot in the arm,'' catcher Michael Barrett said. ''He can hit anywhere in the lineup.''

But Lawton probably will hit first, something that will mean an adjustment for leadoff man Jerry Hairston Jr.

''Obviously, it's his job to decide,'' Hairston said of manager Dusty Baker. ''I'm sure he'll talk to us because Bake always does. But we're not winning, so there'll be some changes.''

Derrek Lee sympathized with Jody Gerut, acquired two weeks ago but sent to Pittsburgh in the deal.

''I was just getting to know Jody and he's gone,'' Lee said. ''It's tough to see Jody go, but that's the business. [Lawton] is a good player, an All-Star. He's a nice addition.''

NEEDED REST: A day off today will be the first for the Cubs since the All-Star break, and it couldn't have come at a better time.

''You can see the effects of playing [18] straight days,'' Baker said Sunday, his team going 10-8 in that time. ''This is the toughest time of the year, energy-wise. It's tough on the pitching staff because it can have repercussions for weeks.

''You play to those off days in how you play your guys and how you plan until the next [off day],'' he said.

The Cubs face a 17-game stretch before the next off day, with series against three of the five other National League wild-card contenders -- the Philadelphia Phillies, the New York Mets and Houston Astros -- along with the league's best team, the St. Louis Cardinals.

RYNO'S DAY: Ryne Sandberg's Hall of Fame induction Sunday was a proud moment for the Cubs, past and present.

''I'm happy for him and for the organization to have another player in the Hall of Fame,'' Baker said. ''I hope we have more in the future.''

Sandberg has worked with Baker and the Cubs in spring training the last two seasons.

''We love having Ryno,'' Baker said. ''He's a hard-working man, one you never know was in the Hall of Fame.''

Second baseman Todd Walker has gotten to know Sandberg through those spring sessions.

''He was the guy who sort of established second base as a power position,'' Walker said. ''Here we are in August and I can't remember the last time the wind was blowing out here. When the wind is blowing in, it's virtually impossible to hit a home run. That makes you appreciate even more what [Sandberg] did as far as hitting homers.

''Not only was he an offensive player, he made all the plays defensively, and that's what they tell you when you come to the majors. Getting a chance to talk to him in spring training, and how much he's helped me with so much stuff, he's made an impact on me.''

Among those attending Sunday's induction in Cooperstown, N.Y., was longtime Cubs clubhouse manager Yosh Kawano, who grew close to Sandberg during the second baseman's 16-year career.

The Cubs plan to honor Sandberg on Aug. 28 when his No. 23 will be retired.

NOTES: Corey Patterson had a second straight multihit game Saturday for Class AAA Iowa, going 2-for-4 with a double and RBI and no strikeouts.

*Sunday's attendance of 39,285 pushed the Cubs past the 2 million mark for the season. They are at 2,023,322 for 52 home dates.

2. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

I think they've been taken down.

Has the S-T made a personnel change on this beat?

3. pallister

pallister Guest

I guess the slogan "Wait 'til next year" has become "Remember last year?"

4. 85bears

85bears Member

No, Toni has always been the backup baseball person. In that town, it keeps one busy.

5. Anonforareason

Anonforareason New Member

Actually, there has been a change on this beat. Kiley is no more.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Too bad. I really liked Kiley.

7. What happened with Kiley?

8. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

That's what I had heard. As far as why he's out, I've only heard speculation.

9. Dignan

Dignan Guest

I was watching PTI last night and the ESPN promo to SportsCenter consisted of Ben Roethlisberger getting in a motorcycle accident, the Heat-Mavs series and something else from a month ago.

Probably the same guy.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Nice to know Deep_Background has found work.

11. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Looks like they picked up Vaughn McClure from the Fresno Bee, formerly of the South Bend Tribune and the DeKalb (Ill.) Chronicle. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My paper has had a couple similar incidents... My understanding is that it's a coding issue. If something is slugged CUBSNOTES080106 and someone makes a typo, the wrong one shows up...

Mistakes suck, but they happen...

Draft saved Draft deleted