1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yay, we've found another Millennial to troll

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jan 7, 2014.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You mean the same Milton Friedman who advocated a government-provided basic income while at the same time condemning Social Security for needlessly creating more dependence on government? That Milton Friedman?

And, yes, they are fucking crazy ideas. You don't need a "Nobel Prize" to figure that out.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Also, I'll bet folding money that this troglodyte couldn't pick Milton Friedman out of a lineup.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The column was written from the clueless left-wing point of view that somewhere out there is this infinite pile of money being controlled by "other people."

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I think that might be a little bit fairer to the left wing; there are plenty on the right who fall into that "other people" nonsense, too.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Was (Not Was) wants some royalties.

6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Boom Boom, Acka Lacka Lacka Boom!

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This diatribe is a little sharper. It's also several months old. But it's sharper. Worth a read.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/09/generation-y-millennials-entitled-poor

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Agreed, that was a good read.

I was thinking about this because of the 1998 thread and how hard it would be to get a full-time job in my market and, if you could even get one, how impossible it would be to live on that salary.

In 1998, gas was about a dollar a gallon, or maybe a little less. My paper's mileage was 20 cents, measly, but still enough to cover the gas and have some left over for an oil change or pocket money when you got the monthly check.

Fast forward, gas is now $3.03 a gallon here or almost perfectly tripled and what my paper pays? Twenty four cents a mile.

While that's pathetic, imagine being fresh out of college with $80,000 in debt from going to a public college and working in a contracting industry where the threat of a layoff is always present.

I'd be pissed off.

9. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Pull quote:

10. Morris816

Morris816 Member

That's a better way of explaining what millennials are really facing. For that matter, what Gen X'ers are now facing these days, because most Gen X'ers have lost their jobs at some point and are now trying to find work, when the mindset of employers these days is to hire "young and cheap."

The Rolling Stone writer had terrible suggestions, so that's what qualifies him as being delusional. But let's not kid ourselves into thinking the baby boomers, the wealthy, and especially Democrats and Republicans aren't that way. Stop me if you've heard any of these from any of the four groups I've mentioned.

"Go to a four-year college and you will get a great job!"
    "If you're still renting, you haven't truly made it. You just gotta be a homeowner!"
    "You can't live in the city! What will become of our suburbs?'
    "Work hard and then you'll get a raise, I guarantee it!"
    "Keep spending money! Think of the economy!"

I'm sure I could think of others.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Has this guy checked the budget deficit? I guess we can give everyone their universal basic income off the money trees.

By the way, he needs to find another word besides "income" in regards to that loony idea. Merriam-Webster defines income as: "money that is earned from work, investments, business, etc."

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Well then don't effing think that whatever was great in the past MUST therefore be great in the future.

When I was in my 20s someone with a moderate amount of mechanical and mathematical aptitude could make a damn good living turning handles in a tool-and-die shop. Not only that, if he pissed the boss off and got fired, there were dozens of shops around that would fall over themselves trying to get him hired and working the next day. So I guess the fact that that's not true anymore reflects "the massive, psyche-altering vicissitudes of American Industry, its self-Taylorization to the point where profit-making and shareholder value have been maximized in ways that Morgans and Carnegies and Vanderbilts couldn't even have conceived—in ways that have stiffed workers and the families they can no longer afford."

Give me a break.

Draft saved Draft deleted