1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yates not guilty

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DyePack, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Between murderously nutty Mom and religiously nutty Dad, those poor kids never had a chance.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I bet Darlie Routier is wishing she had plead insanity instead of insisting somebody broke into her home when she killed her kids.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I've never heard of "age of reason", but I HAVE heard of "age of accountability", which has to do with whether one is too young to be able to accept Jesus as Lord and Savior. I would be shocked if any variant of Christianity larger or more mainstream than Freddy Phelps' House Party adheres to a "childrens' lives aren't as important" doctrine. Insane woman, duped/uncaring husband. No need to pin this on Christianity.

4. Jeff MacDonald is really pissed he went for the "crazy hippies" defense.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

but that eliminates all the fun for some of the people on this board.

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Just so you know, I don't blame Christianity for this. I blame Andrea and David Yates and the 12 MENSA candidates who presided over her trial.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You people couldn't wait to somehow pin this on Christianity. If I said something like, "many Muslims are religious fanatics who want to murder, maim and burn to force their way of life and faith on the rest of the world," you'd be calling me five kinds of racist.

Oh wait...you do.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Agreed, but some have been taking shots. She easily could have done this without being a professing Christian (her insane mind would have had to create a different reason for why she was doing it). Being fucking nuts knows no creed.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Age of accountability is the term I was thinking of -- sorry about that.  And I don't mean to pin this on Christianity, but there's been lots of talk about the undue influence of her pastor, Michael Peter Woroniecki, on her mental deterioration.  

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

The way I've heard "age of accountability" used, that means that someone with the inability to accept Jesus would still go to Heaven when he/she dies. Some, thankfully not many, believe that no such thing exists, and if a two-year-old or a deaf-mute retard with an IQ of 22 were to die, they'd go straight to hell for not believing.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The age of accountability is what I've always been taught. You're "innocent" until you can accept Jesus for yourself. At least that's what my family has always believed.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

hondo,

Her's and her husband's religious beliefs certainly contributed. She was a wreck and suffering from post partum depression but kept having kids. Loving pops was insisting that they be home schooled while he was working and playing golf.

So it may not be the religion, per se, but the family's religous views contributed to a bad situation.

You try taking care of five kids for 24 hours a day and see if you go crazy.

Draft saved Draft deleted