1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

yanks old timer's day

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Awesome. Hope we read some inspiring stories about it soon. ::) ::)

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Kevin Kernan's Post column on the absent Scooter:

http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/absent_scooter_missed_by_all_yankees_kevin_kernan.htm

3. boots

boots New Member

I personally don't like seeing old timer's day. Some of those guys shouldn't be out without a helper and that's sad to see.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

My first reaction to this very sweet column was that it felt like a premature obit. By the end, however, I just hoped Scooter could read it, or that maybe someone read it to him.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

So sad that he had to put "WW" in the scorebook yesterday.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I don't think many teams do them any more. A decade rr so ago there was a sponsor that underwrote one in every ML city, but that fell by the wayside.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yankees are the only team left that does it.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Too bad. I've got a real hankering to see what Rolando Arrojo and Kevin Stocker are doing at DRays Old Timers Day.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

So the Cardinals don't do it anymore?

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Don't know what they are up to, but that Stocker for Bobby Abreu deal really worked out for the Rays, eh?

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I think, as more and more players move into the "old-timer" era who went through the process of free agency, it will fall by the wayside. Although it's been shown there really isn't that much more player movement than there used to be during the era of the reserve clause, the difference is that a lot more of the movement is elective -- players leave a city because they WANT to leave.

When a player leaves because he WANTS to leave, that tends to dampen any warm-and-fuzzy feelings he had about a team, or a city, during his career.

The fact, also, that the huge majority of teams have now moved out of the parks they played in while the "old-timers" were active, I think, has done a lot to kill it, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted