1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yankees at Virginia Tech

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Alex Rodriguez committed an error in the game. Now that is gold!

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I hate to be cynical, but what is the money being collected going to? I mean, family members of the victims obviously suffered terrible losses, but the money's not going to them, right? It's not a few grand (or even a few hundred grand) is going to do anything to replace their child/brother/sister/nephew/niece, etc.

I'm not even sure how effective violence awareness or anger management classes are, but I hope the money is going to something of that ilk and not just serving as some sort of green band-aid for the families' emotions.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Memorials. Counseling services, which the school needs in abundance. Families of the victims got a chunk of cash. There's a list on the school Web site of all the things being funded by the Fund.

4. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Nice gesture indeed.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I got a little choked up when I saw the thing where Jeter posed for pictures at the memorial stone with the student who lost her fiance. He was a really big Derek Jeter fan and Yankee fan, and she had laid a Jeter jersey by his memorial stone awhile ago.

That was pretty sad, but cool.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Idiocy.

Kudos to the Yankees for donating time and money to the University.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Duncan should have dug it out, but it flicked off the heel of his glove.

Interestingly, ESPN radio in NY reported the game and had sound bites, but fif not report the score. I thought that was appropriate.

8. rube

rube Active Member

I agree with playthrough, tough to give the empire props, but well deserved in this case. I saw a bunch of photos on the wire this morning and they all looked great.
    Good stuff right there.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Fuccccck.

Late on this, obviously... but what he said.

Draft saved Draft deleted