1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yankees announcer John Sterling gets skewered (again)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Jun 5, 2009.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Hasn't missed a game in over 20 years. That's kind of sad.

Nothing has ever been more important than that night's game?

No wedding, no funeral?

It just all seems pathetic.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Cannot believe you didn't seize on the opportunity to make fun of Girardi for watching cartoons in his office.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Anyone who has the effrontry to say "He's ruining my life" about Charlie Steiner is an egomaniac/asshole of the highest order.

It's all about him. His "justification" of his "It is high, it is far, it is . . . caught" calls (staying ahead of the play? What a douche) says it all.

4. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Since reading that story, when I hear Sterling's voice, I picture him in a fuzzy robe and bunny slippers, watching Days of our Lives, crying, while sipping merlot.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

One of the most famous sports franchises on earth in the biggest media market in the country and this is what we get? Oy.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

As bad as Sterling and Waldman can be, they at least talk about the game. Let's not forget that Phil Rizzuto long ago set the bar for extraneous bullshit.

7. YankeeFan

But Phil wasn't a blowhard.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Holy cow.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

New York is the capital of the universe for blowhards. What's your point?

10. YankeeFan

If you're going to listen to someone on a daily basis -- for years -- you don't want to be talked down to.

Sterling talks down to his audience. He takes them for granted. He puts his signature call ahead of getting it right.

Scooter never did that. He wasn't scripted (yeah, he had a catch phrase, but it wasn't attached to a specific play). He had fun.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm old enough to remember - very dimly - Red Barber and Mel Allen. I miss Bill White, too. And Bobby Murcer.

Gotta say, though, that I'd rather hear Scooter go on and on about cannoli than listen to a minute of any current Yankee voice.

12. YankeeFan

Frank Messer, Bill White, and Phil Rizzuto, alternating between TV and radio during the game is the classic combo for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted