1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yankee Stadium seats/ticket help

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Jan 29, 2007.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm with BYH. Not a better seat for the $ than tier reserve behind the plate. In fact, I believe that's where I was when Brett hit the home run against Gossage in Game 3 in 1980. So it's a particularly good place to sit for KC fans.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The one time I went there, I sat about 30 rows up from home plate. I don't know what the tickets would cost now... back 10 years ago, they were about $20 per. (Probably three times that now.) I loved the seats, and there were none of the obnoxious fan cartel there.

3. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

If you go, definitely take the subway -- not only because the highways can be a pain, but it's a great experience walking along the street under the elevated subway, bars and stores along the way, and then walking into the stadium and seeing the grass and sky.

Whatever you do, fill up before the game. If you insist on eating or drinking inside, take out a bank loan first.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

One of my favorite things in the world, it just never gets old for me... The 4 train stays underground past the Grand Concourse stop, until right before the Yankee Stadium stop. I love that moment when you come out of the tunnel into sunshine and the first thing you see is the Stadium on the left. You see the stadium, and then the train immediately starts slowing down so you can get off. It's awesome.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Wow. I just woke up to see lots of good advice on this thread already.

Something tells me I'll be trying for tier reserved seats behind home plate. Ten different sections of tickets have sold out already, so it's down to the $58 tickets and less now. So long as I'm not in the bleachers, fine. And so long as I don't forget to make that stroll down 161st and River Avenue.

I've seen Wrigley and Fenway, so this summer I'm curious to see how Yankee Stadium stacks up.

Again, thanks everyone for all the advice. Some great tips already.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Awesome advice. I too will be making my first trip to the Bronx this summer. I was already planning on grabbing some tickets behind home plate, but this cemented it.

Thanks everyone.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

By the way, being a baseball nut that I am, I take it that it's worth getting there really early and checking out Monument Park?

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

And maybe SJ.NY can have a "Ozfest" when you hit town

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Someone else here told me that yes, it's worth it. Apparently it's open until one hour before the game starts. If I'm there, there's no way I could pass on seeing that.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Slight threadjack.

Still having not decided on our summer trip (beaches or NY), I know the SJNY.com group can help me out here: I REALLY don't want to spend $250/night on a hotel, thus I began searching for military lodging in NY. I found the Coast Guard station on Staten Island, about a 10 minute ride to the ferry. Would that be a managable place to stay, considering we'd be sight-seeing/ballgaming during the day, back to the hotel to shower/change and back to the city for nightlife?

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't know Staten Island well, three bags. I drive through it, but never stop. The bad thing about it is that no subways go there. But if the place you'd stay is 10 minutes from the ferry, and you have a definite way to get to and from the ferry, that could be a pretty decent place to stay. The ferry ride is really nice--I'd recommend doing it even if you don't stay on Staten Island, because it's fun and it's cool taking a ferry ride right by the statue of liberty. if you do stay on Staten Island, when you get off the ferry in Manhattan, you'd hop right on the 6 train to begin your trip to any place you might want to see. It's really only about 15 minutes to Grand Central from South Ferry, even less if you catch the express train without waiting.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Well, for $50 a night -- as opposed to $250 -- I can probably deal with some inconveniences.

Draft saved Draft deleted