1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yankee Fans: Morons

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by secretariat, Jul 29, 2011.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Clemens was 83-42 for the Yankees in 6 seasons with a 4.00+ ERA. He's 21st on the Yankee win list. He was better in 5 years with Houston and Toronto then his 6 years in NY.

Interesting little factoid, in 13 years with the Yankees Pettitte had 3 Shutouts 69th best in Yankee history and he's 2nd on the list for career starts

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Rivera is right behing Berra in the Yankee great department. The guy has been amazing.

Does ARod go anywhere on this list?

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Quoted just because I don't think 'yab even realizes how badly he is showing his ass with that comment.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

You didn't answer the question.

5. heyabbott

ARod will be a top 10 All Time Yankee as far as position players goes. He will end being the best 3B in Yankee history, my apologies to Nettles one of my favorite Yankees. ARod's currently 7th all time in HRs and 13th in RBI. He should end up 6th on the RBI when he's done maybe even 5th. He should end up top 5 HRs all time, maybe as high as #3.

But unless the Yankees win a couple of more World Series, I can't push any of the players in my current top 10 out to make room for him. As great as he is, he'll never be better, as a Yankee, than Babe, Lou, Joe D, Mickey and Bill Dickey. They were at least as dominant in their eras as ARod is in his.

Ford, Ruffing and Rivera are the 3 best pitchers in Yankee history, with Lefty Gomez a solid 4th, and are top 10 Yanks with or without ARod.

Is ARod a better Yankees' player than Jeter?

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If you're bringing up the postseason, ARod isn't a better Yankees player than Scott Brosius.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Given A-Rod's hip, I don't think you can assume anything about his career going forward. Do I expect him to leave all that money on the table and never play again? Nah, but I also don't think it's safe to assume he's going to be putting up 30 and 100 seasons from now until the end of that contract. Sometimes, the end can just come real, real quick for a player.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I know his stats weren't as great as most of the players mentioned, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned Phil Rizzuto. He is a HOFer, and his time in the broadcast booth elevated his status as a "true Yankee." He was like New York's version of Harry Caray.

I'd also throw Don Mattingly into the discussion. Again, not the best stats of all-time. But for Yankees fans in the down years of the 1980s and early 90s he was a god. If a vote were taken on best Yankee of each decade, he'd easily win for the 1980s. That's got to count for something.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Well, I think it all depends on how big of a list. From this discussion, it sounds like Jeter slots in from #5 to #7 to most. Mattingly and Rizzuto, I imagine one is in the Top 10, and the other is right on the cusp, depending on your personal preference. In the Top 25, you probably have a mix of guys who were above-average for plenty of years (Bernie Williams, Jorge Posada) and guys with great peaks but short careers with the Yankees (Reggie).

10. heyabbott

I get what you're posting and my attitude isn't best Yankees = Best TURE Yankee, inclusive of my comments about Reggie.
    Phil "The Money Store" Rizzuto was an excellent player on great teams. As far as I'm concerned he's a HOFer as the SS on the greatest dynasty in baseball history ('49-'53) which includes an MVP season and a second place in MVP voting. But he's not one of the top 15 Yankee players of all time.
    Mattingly is one of my 3 favorite Yankees I've seen (Nettles and O'Neill). A great player, even a dominant player for a couple of years, but you'd have to tell me which player he'd replace in a top 15 list.
    @LongTime, post-season, especially World Series has to count, but that doesn't make Brian Doyle and Bucky Dent better than Mattingly. And Brosius only played 4 years as a Yankee. see also Jackson, Reggie and Henderson, Rickey Be

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I know, yab, but any opportunity to knock ARod is not an opportunity to be missed.

12. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

I wouldn't be surprised in 30 to 40 years -- once Jeter's career is complete and his accomplishments can be judged in a broader historical perspective -- if he is always mentioned on the same level as Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio and Mantle.

Draft saved Draft deleted