1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yale QB's tough decision that didn't happen

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Jan 27, 2012.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Deeply troubled by this story, as are others. Would not meet the standard needed to run in our paper, or a lot of good papers.

It's as if the NYT had not learned a damned thing from its Duke lacrosse "reporting," and yes, I put reporting in quotes for a reason.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Buncha Yale homers.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Didn't the Yale head coach also have to step down because he kind of fibbed about being a Rhodes candidate?

When do cynics start being classified as realists?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm gonna give up my Rhodes Scholarship to meet a friend at Buffalo Wild Wings.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I live 35 minutes from the Yale campus and would not even have been able to provide the name of The
    Yale starting QB, let alone that he was a Rhodes scholar candidate until this story appeared in The Times.

As I read story it seemed like an odd story for The Times to write. The writer made it sound like the whole story was common knowledge.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Update: Witt's agent denies Witt knew his Rhodes candidacy was suspended before he had to make the "tough decision." "Sources say" that Witt knew he candidacy was suspended before the game.

The big question is who reported the sexual assault allegation to the Rhodes Trust.

Bottom line is Witt has a problem telling the truth. He told the Yale Daily News he graduated, which is not true. He walked last May, but won't graduate until this May.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Do NOT go to the Ryan Braun steroids thread.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I've always found it interesting that the phrase "Rhodes Scholar Candidate" stops people dead in their tracks.

I would venture that most know it's something but they are not even sure what.

9. Peter Gammons joked on Twitter that Deadspin would be getting killed if it was them who ran the story and not the NYT

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Obviously, the Times should have covered Yale more because the Bulldogs work just as hard as the Buckeyes and the Crimson Tide. They cost the QB a Rhodes scholarship with their lack of coverage.

11. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

This kid sounds like a Class A douchebag, as do his parents, but I agree that you can't go with this story when a formal complaint was never filed and you're merely relying on "sources". It just goes to show that journalism, even at some of the most respected outlets, is falling on its face. There is no more fear of backlash. This was indeed a hack job.

12. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Dan:

The only difference between a cynic and a realist is whether you agree with him...

Draft saved Draft deleted