1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahoo's Wetzel hits nail on head about NCAA transfer rules

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Read this nugget in regards to a Missouri wrestler who ran into a lot of the same problems:

http://ianguerin.com/node/1208

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It'd open up a big can of worms, but I'd like to see an athlete sue his university if they try to restrict him from transferring. There's so many ways in which an athlete can argue that the school is restricting him: 1. Restraint of trade, 2. Discrimination (Coaches can switch without penalty, why are athletes different?), 3. Freedom of choice (why should schools be able to tell a student where they can study and particpate in a school's extracurricular activities?)

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Marve can transfer to any school in the SEC except UT, UF and LSU. I don't understand what is worrying Shannon. Marve can't start at any of those schools.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Maybe the threat of a lawsuit is the reason Miami is pulling back a bit. The school has lowered the number of schools prohibited by a few, according to Wetzel's updated column.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Shannon is a world-class asshat.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Obviously, if the NCAA wants to say students first then athletes, there should be no transfer restrictions.

7. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Fun with coaches: Someone on the UM beat ought to threaten to throw a 55-gallon trash can at ol' Dandy Randy, just for old times' sake. You'll either get a good quote, or you'll get sued.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The NCAA tends to back down every so often with threats of a lawsuit. Like that Kentucky basketball player who wanted to transfer to Louisville. Kentucky tried to block it, but the NCAA let it go forward due to the threat of a lawsuit.

The NCAA's monopoly is just a house of cards waiting to collapse. All they've got to do is make the wrong move to the wrong person.

9. But, cadet, there isn't en entire superstructure of rules, and an entire national organization, set up for the purpose of maintaining an unpaid workforce for a major institution of mass entertainment involving theater majors, either.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Don't hold back... how so...

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Can't accept responsibility for anything.

12. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Neither Marve nor Shannon is looking good in this situation. Marve looks like a crybaby who doesn't want to compete for a job after screwing up a few times, and Shannon looks like a vindictive prick, which he probably is. He did, after all, learn under Jimmy Johnson.

I agree with a lot in this column, but there has to be some restrictions or things would get out of control in a hurry. And why shouldn't schools be allowed to protect themselves in the event that a player wants to transfer? I don't think it's so much that UM is scared of these teams, since they don't play most of them, but that they are recruiting against the state teams. And if Marve happened to lead FIU to prominence, that wouldn't be good for Miami. Now, LSU and Tennessee? That makes no sense.

Miami should consider letting him go to USF if he wants to be closer to his family, but since he burned his bridge by ripping the program before officially transferring, I can't say I blame them for not trying to work something out.

Draft saved Draft deleted