1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahoo story on home run #762

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Mar 13, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You're going to make some people jealous mad posting a Zack Hample article.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It sounds like the guy needs the money with a father with cancer. Hopefully, there is somebody out there willing to fork over six figures for it, but we won't know until Bonds officially retires.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Bonds signs with a team in August or something like that, so let the buyer beware.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If there's any who knows about confusion and bullying to get a baseball....

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

How about this section from the story. If I could, I would take a right hook at the guy and say "Down goes Frazier! Down goes Frazier!"

6. OJ1414

OJ1414 Member

And a little further down:

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That part cracked me up.

As for the guy selling the ball, he's in a tough spot. Does he try to unload it now, hoping to get max value for it in case Bonds comes back at some point in the season, or does he hold onto it, fearing that he's not getting full value because people believe Bonds will be back? If he holds onto it and Bonds doesn't come back and officially retires, he might be able to get more. If he holds on and Bonds does come back, he probably costs himself hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Personally, I'd sell it now, believing that Bonds will probably hit at least one more home run. If he doesn't come back, you've probably sold it for a few hundred thousand less than you could have gotten. If he does come back and hits one more, you've probably gone from a $700,000 payday to well under $100,000.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Why would anyone tell a reporter that all he does is get stoned?

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Because he's stoned?

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

why not?

Draft saved Draft deleted