1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahoo! Sports: Iverson retires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I might add, all Iverson did was score. And as I stated, he needed a lot of shots to get his points.

But he was also a subpar and unwilling passer, a poor defender and not much of a rebounder. He was also not a winner.

I don't hate the man. But I think there are too many people who overrate his place in the game. He was nothing more than a one-dimensional scorer.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I'm sure you were.

3. Crash

Crash Active Member

He shot 43 percent for his career. No, that's not outstanding, but it doesn't exactly paint the picture of a guy who was gunning it from all over and making one or two every now and then. He also averaged about two steals per game for his career, so while he may not have been a great on-the-ball defender, he could cause problems.

Plus, even if he was a "one-dimensional scorer," he was a one-dimensional scorer at less than six feet tall. No one else his size has ever scored like him. In fact, no one under six feet tall is within 6,000 points of him.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

So Barkley and several other Hall of Famers are also overrated?

Weak.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The Knicks should have signed him - even for all the back page matierial he would have provided. It's another dead season otherwise. The Garden will be half empty by mid January.

What family of 4 is going to drop a $500 bill to go watch Nate Robinson and crew.

6. JackReacher

Um....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4695373

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Ryan, thanks for finding the link. Like I said earlier, it's possible. I for one think it would be a good fit for this season.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

That's 43 percent for someone who doesn't take a lot of outside shots. He takes a buncha midrange shots, in-the-paint shots and layups. So, from that perspective, 43 percent is pretty bad.

9. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

10. Den, right now, you're hating.

In his prime, there wasn't one guy in the nba that could stay in front of iverson. not. one. guy.

He was the best sub 6 foot scorer of all-time. He's one of the best little men to ever do it. He put himself on the line each and every night. He had his problems to be sure, but to say he's not a first ballot hall-of-famer is just asinine

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Newsflash, there aren't too many who can stay in front of him now. Don't believe the bullshit about his losing a step. He's still quick and can still get his shot off. The problem is that he's a cancer to any team that he plays for. However, he does put asses in the seats. Philly needs an attraction now. Charlotte could use him and a few more cities.

12. JackReacher

You make compelling arguments. Oh wait. No, you don't.

Draft saved Draft deleted