1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahoo! reports UConn violated recruiting rules

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Mar 25, 2009.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I wasnt trying to be dismissive of the work by Yahoo...just pointing out that many people have wondered just how the hell Calhoun turned Cow College into a two-time national champ.

And I bet they don't end up on any sort of tangible probation (and no, I don't consider what Indiana went thru this year a tangible probation..."tangible probation" is a punishment-fits-the-crime penalty like the one Kentucky got). Who does these days?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Excellent story. My congratulations. And I say that as someone who does not and never will care a whit about NCAA rules and their violations.

3. Didn't they just do a big piece on Kevin Love's AAU coach getting a crapload of money from agents? This is damn impressive. On top of all the Reggie Bush stuff, too. Yahoo is becoming a beast with investigative reporting.

I applaud them for keeping up the fight.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yes ...

... and more yes.

If you're filing a juicy FOIA request, be prepared to wait a while before that story sees the light of day -- and to keep filing.

But, eventually, they're required by law to release it.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I like Tom Brennan, but he just said something stupid on ESPN. He questioned the timing of the story's release. It seemed to me he was implying it was timed to mess with the Huskies. In fact, the reporters had been working on the thing for months and the university only recently complied with the FOIA request. That's why it's out now, isn't it?

6. That's what I assumed. The story said the university just released the phone records recently. So I'm guessing it took some time to go through all that stuff and then write the piece and get reaction. If Connecticut thought there was something damaging in there, it should have waited until after the tourney to release the phone records.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yes, it was. Wetzel had a hand in that one too.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ys-agents031109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

In a press conference today, Calhoun referred to the article as a "blog story."

Not quite, Jim.

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Hey Mr. Cow College, aren't you forgetting that you grew up in the boonies? :D

10. bristolex

bristolex New Member

As usual since the story broke ESPN has beaten it into the ground.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'm sure the NCAA will be happy to look into this right after they finish up with Reggie Bush, and helping OJ find the real killers.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Damn straight my friend. I say Cow College with all sorts of affection. But it IS Cow fucking College!

Draft saved Draft deleted