1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahoo overtakes ESPN...four weeks and running

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Scribbled_Notz, Oct 21, 2006.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yahoo = free

ESPN = pay for Chris Mortensen, Rob Neyer, Buster Olney's blog, Peter Gammons, Len Pasquarelli, Marc Stein, Jayson Stark's blog, Eric Karabell's fantasy blog, chat wraps, NFL injury updates, Pro Football Weekly, Scouts Inc., Mel Kiper, etc., etc.

No wonder Yahoo gets more traffic. But are they making more money? And is ESPN's pay content worth the $5 a month?

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Buster's blog is worth the $5 alone if you're a big baseball fan and lazy. Although I have links to all the major sections around the country, it's easier to let Buster put it all together for me. Plus, even his one or two sentence intros to each link have some insight.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

What gets lost in the Anybody But ESPN clucking that goes on here is that competition is good. It makes everybody better, and creates some jobs along the way.

That said, I find myself also relying more on Yahoo. My original entree was, indeed, joining a Yahoo baseball league last summer. But I find it a damn sight easier to navigate when I'm hunting score updates on college football Saturday.

As I will do now.

4. Clever username

And speaking of Jeff Passan ... I simply can't read the guy. He was a couple years ahead of me in college and is simply too damn good. The level of talent he displays makes me sick in an extremely jealous kind of way.

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Buster's blog is amazing. The amount of links is simply staggering.

6. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Same here. Yahoo Sports is my home page on my laptop and my PC at the office.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I switched to Yahoo and CBSSportsline because I don't get the jeheebus scared out of me when some stupid ad or voice pops up as they are want to do on ESPN.com now.

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

ESPN is too cluttered, although I enjoy the Tuesday Morning Quarterback feature. Sportsline often crashes my computer. Yahoo's stable of writers is so-so, but the scores page is much cleaner and easier to use than either.

9. ECrawford

ECrawford Member

Gee -- I agree completely.

I go out of my way to read a lot of ESPN's online writers -- but that's the problem. A lot of times I have to go out of my way to do it.

10. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Not sure what's up with all the Passan love.

That LaRussa-Leyland column, for example, is tortuous reading.

To each his/her own, I guess.

11. Clever username

Well, I can't say read Yahoo or Passan all the time, and we all write stinkers, but when I have it's been pretty damn good.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Actually, ESPN Local gives you the best baseball links, arranging them by sport and by market.

But, really, I'm a big Yahoo fan for the basics -- stats, rosters, player pages, team pages. It's clean and intuitive.

Draft saved Draft deleted