1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahoo homepage

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Jul 25, 2009.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Anyone noticed the changes Yahoo! made to its homepage recently?

I hate it, and wish there was a way to get the old homepage back. Anyone know of a way to do that?

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It's variable; sometimes you get the old one, sometimes you get the new one. Sometimes the new one gives you an option to go to the old one, sometimes it doesn't. But I hate the new one, too. I actually prefer the one they had 10 years ago; didn't have to worry about some MMA or Speidi crap jumping out at you.

3. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

in two weeks everyone will forget what the old one looked like and why the liked it. always happens when a site changes its look.

4. dooley_womack1

Um, just like I forgot all about Yahoo's look from 10 years ago? And the clean look ESPN used to have?

5. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

yes. yahoo is better than it was 10 years ago and espn is the cleanest its ever been.

6. dooley_womack1

ESPN is an unholy mess, and it's harder to find mail and messenger on yahoo. The point is, I doubt your initial premise is even close to universal. There are tons of people in St. Louis who are still pissed at the Post-Dispatch for its design change. Changing design is not just jigsaw puzzle masturbation that automatically will be adjusted to and eventually loved.

7. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

people get pissed for a few weeks then learn to love the new version. lots of people are afraid of change ... then forget all about it.

8. dooley_womack1

Not true at all. You've been talking to at least one exception, for god sake's, and I assure you I'm not sui generis. Ask the geniuses behind New Coke about just being able to throw anything out there and have it accepted.

9. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

i'm sure a small percentage never get over change, for one reason or the other, but for the most part people raise a stink, then forget what they were raising a stink over.

I think espn.com has never looked better. they actually made their homepage easier to navigate. it's much cleaner than it ever has been and is a lot easier on the eyes.

10. dooley_womack1

Like with New Coke, right?

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

What about the hit Coke Zero?
    Meaning, you're not going to know unless you try.

12. dooley_womack1

True nuff. But diet cola is a much more ripe area for monkeying around than the flagship brand. The point is, jimnorden insists that any old change is fine, people will just accept it. And I don't necessarily buy that. Change shouldn't be made for change sake.

Draft saved Draft deleted