1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahoo Cuts A Comin'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BuckeyeGA, Oct 22, 2008.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

OK, I'm a rival (not Rivals.com), but think Yahoo does a lot of great work, very solid writers. And a LOT of people use Yahoo as one of their primary sports sites.

I think apseloser is in my top five of people I most consistently disagree with here.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Am I No. 2 or 3? ;)

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Wrapper, you're reasonably high on the other list, actually. :)

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Ah, a top-five list I can actually make now.

5. apseloser

apseloser Member

Disagree with me about the quality of the site all you want, but apseloser knows what he's talking about with the in-fighting that exists there. It is UGLY.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It's just apseloser being apseloser.

:D Anyhoo, Yahoo has had financial issues for months, so it's not surprising that some trimming could take place.

7. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Re: The shot above that apseloser take at Dave Morgan. "A real visionary," apseloser says sarcastically.

I think what APSEloser might have been referring to was a recent APSE article in which Morgan tells us what he would do over again if he returned to newspapers.

The implication that all of a sudden he's such an expert is a little irritating. The advice he gave wasn't too fresh.

8. Me too.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Question: If you're not going to at least hear what he's saying, then who?

10. Fran Curci

Nothing wrong with listening; I'm just saying he had nothing new to offer in what he wrote. He got a good job at a big online operation, but that doesn't make him an expert on what went wrong at newspapers. What went wrong is that classified advertising went away. that's no. 1.

I'd rather listen to ESPN's John Walsh (who invented Inside Sports way back when); or the guy who created ProFootballTalk from ground zero; or the journalists today who are making intelligent choices about sharing resources.

11. Yeah, because the founding of Inside Sports is so relevant to the state of sports journalism at the end of 2008.

12. Fran Curci

No, because Walsh, besides doing many good things at ESPN, is a man of original ideas. That doesn't go away.

Draft saved Draft deleted