1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

xmas gifts question...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Dec 11, 2010.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I'm actually spending about the same. I belong to a Christmas club at work which amounts to about $300 bucks towards the stash. I buy throughout the year too and the extra pay for Thanksgiving gives me that extra cash that I need.

The only time I run out is for the office Christmas party, when I have to pick up the manager's presents. I'll drop about $60 on managers and co-workers that I'm close to (one is one of my best friends). I'll pick up the slack next week when my aunt and grandmother give me cash for my birthday.

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

My wife's family has the same policy. We do a gift exchange, no more than $50. Works out well. Have to buy for my dad and two brothers, but with a new house, the SO and myself decided to play it cool.

Edit: Will give $50 to the local charity making sure kids of soldiers serving overseas get toys at Christmas.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I have four siblings ... and there are five nieces and nephews. We drew names for who gets what for them with a higher-than-usual cap for each one. We'll all be together on the 25th (I don't know who is more excited, the kids or my mom).

For the adults, cheap stocking stuffers.

And I will get something very nice (as usual) for my closest friend and her husband because we always do (they're more creative than I am). And we will go have a nice dinner at our favorite restaurant, which has become a sort of tradition for us.

4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

The last several years, we've done white elephant exchanges for the adults on both sides and gifts for the kids. Sometimes, we'll get individual gifts but no one is under any obligation to get every person in the family a gift of their own from you.

The white elephant thing works pretty well. This year, the theme is barbecue. I'm pretty excited to see what everyone comes up with.

For my friends, we either get each other nice, but relatively inexpensive gifts (or, you know, edible gifts. Cookies have been pretty popular the last few years) or a few of us go in on a nicer gift. With the exception of one of my friends, none of us have amazingly stellar jobs and we've all got expanding families to buy for. Just getting everyone together for dinner and drinks is usually the best part of the holidays for us.

Draft saved Draft deleted