1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

XM: how do you listen? and to what?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by accguy, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Not a lot of love for Lucy, which is surprising. Great channel. But the 80s, 90s, XMCafe (45), Fred (44) and the "adult contemporary" Blend (25) and Flight 26 (26) often have good stuff. The NHL talk (204) is a nice touch, given how rare it is on terrestrial radio, even in New England.

I've got the new Inno, which holds up to 50 hours of XM content. So far, it's been fantastic, although I mainly just use it at home, hooked up to the stereo speakers.

2. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I start at 8 or 9 (80s or 90s) and move forward. Will check out 11, 16, 17 (country channels)... wind up stopping on Flight 26 for a while, then down to the Boneyard (41), Top Tracks (46), Ethel (47), Big Tracks (49) and Lucy (54). Also like the MLB channels, ESPN, and, in the spring and summer, baseball games (the biggest reason I have XM). Comedy on 150 once in a while, which is really funny when I remember to listen to it.
    My favorite part of XM is the tongue-in-cheek promos between the channels... ("Lucy.... like Ethel, without the sexually transmitted diseases.") Always make me laugh.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Those are great. My favorite one is on The Boneyard, when a guy is in prison and uses his only phone call to call The Boneyard. "A man is about to have massive buttlove with me, can you play a song for me?" Then the DJ plays "Let's Get It On." Prisoner: "That's not exactly what I had in mind!"

I forgot to mention the last preset is always set to a baseball game during baseball season. I'll surf the baseball channels, find the game I want and preset it. Man, that's fucking awesome.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

thanks for clarifying your last preset. I had done the math and it seemed like you had one more preset available. I was wondering if you just did not use or were afraid to tell us that it was set to Broadway channel .

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Haha I'm pretty sure the math was right...7 pre-sets, one open one that used to be the Xmas station and two sports talk stations. The 10th preset is always a baseball game. Easier to remember that way.

Any idea how to get a remote control for an XM radio?

6. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

By the way, I'm also becoming a Cinemagic fan... not necessarily for John Williams' sweeping opuses they play sometimes, but for the other, out of the way stuff.
    The other day, I killed a whole 40-minute drive listening to selections from the Happy Gilmore soundtrack, cut with classic quotes from the movie inbetween (selections included "It's Magic" and "Endless Love"). Yesterday, I caught some of Ferris Bueller's Day Off, complete with that "Ohhh... Yeah... chicka-chicka!" song that I think they used on the Kit-Kat commercials.
    The whole package is well worth my $12.95 a month.

7. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Greatest vehicle invention of the last decade... especially for us commuters.

I start usually with 46 (Top Tracks), segue to 49 (Big Tracks), then 41 (Boneyard), 44 (Fred), 8 (80s), 7 (70s), 150 (Comedy) and 54 (Lucy).

Have ESPN (140), CNBC (127) and CNN (121) in reserve, along with 204 (NHL) and the various MLB games (175-189).

9. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

got an inno for my birthday in Sept. boneyard is great for music and just started listening to The Ron and Fez show on 202. Now that's a funny show.

10. patchs

patchs Active Member

www.myradiostore.com for new remotes or anything XM related
    On second thought, here, http://www.myradiostore.com/parts-accessories/delphi-skyfi-2-remote.html

As a 5-year XM listener, for me it's, ahem, the 70s channel 80 percent of the time. Then its ESPN, the 80s, the Blend, Big Tracks and Comedy (150).
    I just got the Sky Fi 3 last month. It's great because you can put in a memory card (micro SD) and put your own music on it.
    Then, you can record 10 hours of live XM but you cannot transfer it to a computer.
    Plus, you can pause live XM, as well as rewind and FF (like the SF2).
    Finally, there's a set of headphones with a XM antenna built in so you can listen to live XM on the go, which I will use this summer when I mow the lawn.
    Of course a device this cool does have some tech issues. It some times turns itself off and back on again. The original remote it came with was as useless as boobs on a bull, I called Delphi and they sent me a new one, problem solved.
    The display works different than the SF2, for example, with the SF2, if one of your fav artists came on, it would beep and tell you what artist, song and channel. The SF3 only shows the artist's name.
    I use it to listen to recorded XM and my MP3s when I use my elliptical in the morning.
    If anyone has any XM questions, PM me any time.

11. patchs

patchs Active Member

Birdscribe, you don't listen to the PGA channel (146)? I'm surprised.

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Patchs, I have in the past, but golf on the radio -- while done fairly well in this genre -- is tough to follow.

Usually, I listen when I've gotten them guests from events. I know several of their crew and they're good people who do decent work. But especially when I've worked a few tournaments in a period of time, I'm too close.

Draft saved Draft deleted