1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

X Factor

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, Sep 22, 2011.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

Anyone watch it or did it sneak up on you and you missed it?
    Naturally they'd pit it against Survivor.

It's America's Got Talent, with Simon on the panel, basically.

How many different ways can you have talent shows anyway?

The $5M recording contract vs. American Idol's $1M one is a big difference, plus lowering the age to 13.

If you watched it, did you like it more than Idol?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I think it's more The Voice than it is AI or AGT. The four individual teams led by a judge? Plus, it's still all singing, isn't it?

3. printdust

printdust New Member

I didn't watch the voice ... all I know about that is they were initially judged by voice alone without seeing who they were. America's Got Talent was a Simon toy...that's why I mentioned that. You'd think that with a new production he'd tweak it somewhat from anything he's done. The Super Bowl commercial deal is a neat addition though.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It's not a new production. It's been on the air in England for several years (Leona Lewis won it, I believe).

5. printdust

printdust New Member

New in terms of American TV.

6. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Saw it. Liked the fact they auditioned in front of an audience and not just the judges... don't need the shock value of a 40-year-old man stripping in front of an audience with kids...

7. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I said it on another thread, but I cannot get over how much L.A. Reid and Randy Jackson look alike.

8. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

I'm told it's similar to Idol. except the judges drink out of Pepsi glasses and not Coke.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

surprised about the relatively meager ratings - it isn't like people weren't aware this show was coming. Or maybe that's the point.

10. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

These Miami auditions have been rather meh; so many people who have talent, but aren't quite good enough to push through. It will be very interesting to see the judges actually mentor some of these people who have potential but clearly need direction. Where Idol is detrimental to the contestants is that they're getting advice from different people, with differing perspectives on the industry, every week.

11. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

@SteveLevitan Steve Levitan
    It's extremely gratifying that a scripted comedy finally beat an overhyped karaoke contest. Thank you, #ModernFamily fans!

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Pepsi paid $60 miilion. The panel is AI all over again. Simon, Paula, woman with long dark hair and like Carr Bear said, LA as Randy. The only difference the sweater that LA wears aren't obnoxious.

Draft saved Draft deleted